Old 08-05-2014, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Under the gooseberry bush

I have two gooseberry bushes, but one has thrown a couple of new
shoots where the stems are far more prickly (rather than thorny)
than the main plant, and the leaves are far larger, much less
lobed and much lighter in colour.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Nobody grafts gooseberry bushes,
do they?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/05/2014 19:53, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I have two gooseberry bushes, but one has thrown a couple of new
shoots where the stems are far more prickly (rather than thorny)
than the main plant, and the leaves are far larger, much less
lobed and much lighter in colour.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Nobody grafts gooseberry bushes,
do they?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Apparently they do. Scroll down on the link to "How to Grow" and you
will see a planting instruction which advocates the removal of basal
buds ...

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit...tion/cww3350TM

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 08-05-2014, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

I have two gooseberry bushes, but one has thrown a couple of new
shoots where the stems are far more prickly (rather than thorny)
than the main plant, and the leaves are far larger, much less
lobed and much lighter in colour.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Nobody grafts gooseberry bushes,
do they?

They are so easy from cuttings and grow on so well that there would be
little point in grafting but you never know, maybe they have grafted onto an
American gooseberry which is a different species.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

I have two gooseberry bushes, but one has thrown a couple of new
shoots where the stems are far more prickly (rather than thorny)
than the main plant, and the leaves are far larger, much less
lobed and much lighter in colour.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Nobody grafts gooseberry bushes,
do they?

They are so easy from cuttings and grow on so well that there would be
little point in grafting but you never know, maybe they have grafted onto an
American gooseberry which is a different species.

I didn't think of the obvious answer! I removed it, and it was a
seedling that I had previously taken fopr a sucker.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:

I have two gooseberry bushes, but one has thrown a couple of new
shoots where the stems are far more prickly (rather than thorny)
than the main plant, and the leaves are far larger, much less
lobed and much lighter in colour.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Nobody grafts gooseberry bushes,
do they?

They are so easy from cuttings and grow on so well that there would be
little point in grafting but you never know, maybe they have grafted onto
an
American gooseberry which is a different species.

I didn't think of the obvious answer! I removed it, and it was a
seedling that I had previously taken fopr a sucker.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that sort of thing. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Gooseberry bush pollination David in Normandy[_7_] United Kingdom 3 14-04-2009 10:34 PM
gooseberry bush ajr United Kingdom 4 11-11-2005 06:11 PM
propagating gooseberry bush Ros Butt United Kingdom 8 15-07-2005 06:55 PM
Gooseberry Bush Ben United Kingdom 1 02-08-2004 05:04 PM
No flowers on gooseberry bush Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 14-05-2003 10:44 PM