GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Horseradish (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209914-horseradish.html)

Janet 07-06-2014 09:15 PM

Horseradish

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 07-06-2014 09:35 PM

Horseradish

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Yes to rampant spreader, it is best planted in someone else garden!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Gary Woods 07-06-2014 10:20 PM

Horseradish

Janet wrote:

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

As Charlie said, thug. Having said that, I've kept it more or less
confined to an 8-foot square in the garden, which provides enough fresh
roots to have people threaten to report me as a toxic waste site!

Spider[_3_] 07-06-2014 10:46 PM

Horseradish

On 07/06/2014 21:15, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Mmm .. great stuff! I doubt it will ever take over the world, despite
its WMD status, but it is a tasty thug best confined to a large pot.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Davey[_2_] 08-06-2014 12:11 AM

Horseradish

On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 21:35:34 +0100
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret
letting loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps
in a large buried pot)?

Janer

Yes to rampant spreader, it is best planted in someone else garden!

Surely you can't have too much horseradish?

--
Davey.

Janet 08-06-2014 12:39 AM

Horseradish

In article ,
says...

Janet wrote:

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

As Charlie said, thug. Having said that, I've kept it more or less
confined to an 8-foot square in the garden, which provides enough fresh
roots to have people threaten to report me as a toxic waste site!

Eeeeek :-) Pot prison it is, then.

Do you harvest it just as and when you want some, or at some particular
time of year?

Janet

Peter James[_6_] 08-06-2014 07:59 AM

Horseradish

Spider wrote:

On 07/06/2014 21:15, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Mmm .. great stuff! I doubt it will ever take over the world, despite
its WMD status, but it is a tasty thug best confined to a large pot.

I stopped growing it the day I lifted a root and grated it to make a
sauce to accompany a roast joint of beef.

Never, ever again. It makes onions benign in comparison. People who
grow this stuff should be reported as an environmental hazard!

Peter
--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential

stuart noble 08-06-2014 10:11 AM

Horseradish

On 08/06/2014 07:59, Peter James wrote:
Spider wrote:

On 07/06/2014 21:15, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Mmm .. great stuff! I doubt it will ever take over the world, despite
its WMD status, but it is a tasty thug best confined to a large pot.

I stopped growing it the day I lifted a root and grated it to make a
sauce to accompany a roast joint of beef.

Never, ever again. It makes onions benign in comparison. People who
grow this stuff should be reported as an environmental hazard!

Peter

I remember grated horseradish being on the table in a German restaurant.
My mate thought it was cheese and decided a sandwich would be nice.....

Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] 08-06-2014 01:11 PM

Horseradish

On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 21:15:26 +0100, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Get into the habit of eating the leaf as well as the root and you
won't be able to grow enough!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Janet 08-06-2014 01:14 PM

Horseradish

In article ,
says...

In article , Peter James
writes
Spider wrote:

On 07/06/2014 21:15, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Mmm .. great stuff! I doubt it will ever take over the world, despite
its WMD status, but it is a tasty thug best confined to a large pot.

I stopped growing it the day I lifted a root and grated it to make a
sauce to accompany a roast joint of beef.

Never, ever again. It makes onions benign in comparison. People who
grow this stuff should be reported as an environmental hazard!

Wimp :-)

We grow it in a narrow border between the house and the drive whence it
cannot escape. Every couple of years, we dig up a root, grate it and
store it in jars in vinegar. Then, when we want some sauce to go with
beef, take a couple of spoonfuls and mix it with double cream. Yum!

Thanks for tip Malcolm.
Now I'm lusting after horseradish sauce....

Janet.

Janet 08-06-2014 01:15 PM

Horseradish

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 21:15:26 +0100, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Get into the habit of eating the leaf as well as the root and you
won't be able to grow enough!

Thanks, I will try that. Do you eat it raw or cooked?

Janet

Gary Woods 08-06-2014 01:42 PM

Horseradish

Janet wrote:

Do you harvest it just as and when you want some, or at some particular
time of year?

Best when dormant, spring or fall, but I don't think a slight reduction in
strength would matter much.

Spider[_3_] 08-06-2014 01:44 PM

Horseradish

Spider wrote:

On 07/06/2014 21:15, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Mmm .. great stuff! I doubt it will ever take over the world, despite
its WMD status, but it is a tasty thug best confined to a large pot.

I stopped growing it the day I lifted a root and grated it to make a
sauce to accompany a roast joint of beef.

Never, ever again. It makes onions benign in comparison. People who
grow this stuff should be reported as an environmental hazard!

Peter

LOL! You forgot the eye protection, did you?! It's good for clearing
out the sinus, though ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Spider[_3_] 08-06-2014 01:48 PM

Horseradish

Spider wrote:

[...]

Er... it doesn't *smell* a lot like cheese. Mind you, he'll probably
never know now. His nose, eyes and taste buds will be certifiably
uselesss. Poor man!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

[...]