Old 11-06-2014, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Interesting parasitic plant appears in shrub bed

While tidying the shrub beds we noticed this
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124571319@N07/

It was identified by Devon Wildlife Trust as Lesser/Common broomrape,
Orobanche minor. This quite strange plant has no obvious leaves and
is parasitic and hosted by Senecio greyii, a fairly common cultivated
shrub in this part of the world. The image shows the flower stalks
growing up through the chipped bark, immediatly adjacent to a Senecio
greyii. Further information at
http://sppaccounts.bsbi.org.uk/content/orobanche-minor
--
rbel
Old 12-06-2014, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2014 22:32, rbel wrote:

While tidying the shrub beds we noticed this
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124571319@N07/

It was identified by Devon Wildlife Trust as Lesser/Common broomrape,
Orobanche minor. This quite strange plant has no obvious leaves and
is parasitic and hosted by Senecio greyii, a fairly common cultivated
shrub in this part of the world. The image shows the flower stalks
growing up through the chipped bark, immediatly adjacent to a Senecio
greyii. Further information at
http://sppaccounts.bsbi.org.uk/content/orobanche-minor

Interesting plants, and IMO much rarer - or at least less noticeable -
than orchids (which I always think they can look somewhat similar to).

Funnily enough I was going round an NGS garden a couple of weeks ago and
came across a patch of Toothwort (Lathraea clandestina). I'd seen this
only two or three times previously.

--

Jeff
Old 12-06-2014, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote ...

rbel wrote:

While tidying the shrub beds we noticed this
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124571319@N07/

It was identified by Devon Wildlife Trust as Lesser/Common broomrape,
Orobanche minor. This quite strange plant has no obvious leaves and
is parasitic and hosted by Senecio greyii, a fairly common cultivated
shrub in this part of the world. The image shows the flower stalks
growing up through the chipped bark, immediatly adjacent to a Senecio
greyii. Further information at
http://sppaccounts.bsbi.org.uk/content/orobanche-minor

Interesting plants, and IMO much rarer - or at least less noticeable - than
orchids (which I always think they can look somewhat similar to).

Funnily enough I was going round an NGS garden a couple of weeks ago and
came across a patch of Toothwort (Lathraea clandestina). I'd seen this only
two or three times previously.

Yes, certainly very similar to the Birds Nest Orchid both in shape and
colour.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.