Old 16-07-2014, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Farming woodlice?

Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.

Old 17-07-2014, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.

Why?

They're edible?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-07-2014, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17, Nick Maclaren wrote:

wrote:

Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.

Why?

They're edible?

Yes, I want to try "potted wood shrimp".

http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/...-woodlice.html
Old 21-07-2014, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17, Nick Maclaren wrote:

wrote:

Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.

Why?

They're edible?

Yes, I want to try "potted wood shrimp".

http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/...-woodlice.html

Chickens also like them, it gives them extra protein. Luckily I seem to
able to breed woodlice without trying and my hens just scarf them up.
I never even considered eating them myself.
Let me know how it goes. If they are nice I have a huge food source here
;-)

Tina

Old 22-07-2014, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17, Nick Maclaren wrote:

wrote:

Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.

Why?

They're edible?

Yes, I want to try "potted wood shrimp".

http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/...-woodlice.html

Chickens also like them, it gives them extra protein. Luckily I seem to
able to breed woodlice without trying and my hens just scarf them up.
I never even considered eating them myself.
Let me know how it goes. If they are nice I have a huge food source here
;-)

Tina

Whilst woodlice are related to prawns and shrimps the thought of getting
the "Husks" off around a 1000 woodlice to make a sandwich...........
No thanks.
I'll stick to Prawns and shrimps.
A lot less work.
But as chicken feed ..... OK

Old 16-07-2014, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-16, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Adam Funk
writes
Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.

Try googling.

(I thought I had.)

I came up with