Old 16-07-2014, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Farming woodlice?

Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.
Old 16-07-2014, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-16, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Adam Funk
writes
Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.

Try googling.

(I thought I had.)

I came up with
http://www.earthlife.net/insects/woodcare.html

and there are more.

That's a good one, thanks.

Old 17-07-2014, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.

Why?

They're edible?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-07-2014, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17, Nick Maclaren wrote:

wrote:

Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.

Why?

They're edible?

Yes, I want to try "potted wood shrimp".

http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/...-woodlice.html

Old 21-07-2014, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17, Nick Maclaren wrote:

wrote:

Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.

Why?

They're edible?

Yes, I want to try "potted wood shrimp".

http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/...-woodlice.html

Chickens also like them, it gives them extra protein. Luckily I seem to
able to breed woodlice without trying and my hens just scarf them up.
I never even considered eating them myself.
Let me know how it goes. If they are nice I have a huge food source here
;-)

Tina

Old 22-07-2014, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17, Nick Maclaren wrote:

wrote:

Does anyone know how, if you capture a few woodlice in your garden,
you could cultivate a large quantity of them in some kind of
container? E.g., how much space they need, what to feed them, how
long it takes them to reproduce.

Why?

They're edible?

Yes, I want to try "potted wood shrimp".

http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/...-woodlice.html

Chickens also like them, it gives them extra protein. Luckily I seem to
able to breed woodlice without trying and my hens just scarf them up.
I never even considered eating them myself.
Let me know how it goes. If they are nice I have a huge food source here
;-)

Tina

Whilst woodlice are related to prawns and shrimps the thought of getting
the "Husks" off around a 1000 woodlice to make a sandwich...........
No thanks.
I'll stick to Prawns and shrimps.
A lot less work.
But as chicken feed ..... OK

Old 22-07-2014, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17, Nick Maclaren wrote:

wrote:

[...]

They'duse old women to remove the shells with their teeth as it is rumoured was
normal here with shrimps here at one time.

Well, it is getting rather off-topic, but given the rate
at which I peel prawns, just /how/ do you economically
peel all the prawns we find in our food nowadays? Or even
more pointedly, the delicious North Sea brown shrimps?
Airfreighting them to SE Asia and then airfreighting
the edible bits them back again is the boring part of the
answer.

A significant proportion of a century ago, I saw a prawn
peeling machine that worked but wasn't quite economic; I don't
know whether the economics have changed. The machine beheaded
them, then rammed them onto a nozzle, then a jet of water
spat the flesh out. I wonder if it is done that way now.

The other trick, as told to me by the celebrated mud-horse
netter Brendan Sellick, is simply to eat them whole!

Old 22-07-2014, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/14 10:28, Tom Gardner wrote:

Well, it is getting rather off-topic, but given the rate
at which I peel prawns, just /how/ do you economically
peel all the prawns we find in our food nowadays?

Some sort of compressed air jets process I think.

Old 22-07-2014, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:
On 22/07/14 09:53, Martin wrote:

They'duse old women to remove the shells with their teeth as it is rumoured was
normal here with shrimps here at one time.

Well, it is getting rather off-topic, but given the rate
at which I peel prawns, just /how/ do you economically
peel all the prawns we find in our food nowadays? Or even
more pointedly, the delicious North Sea brown shrimps?

The other trick, as told to me by the celebrated mud-horse
netter Brendan Sellick, is simply to eat them whole!

My teeth are pretty bad, but I eat shrimps as is, and all except the
head and tail of prawns. I baulk at doing that with langoustine,
which are spiky.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 22-07-2014, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/14 12:23, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:
On 22/07/14 09:53, Martin wrote:

They'duse old women to remove the shells with their teeth as it is rumoured was
normal here with shrimps here at one time.

Well, it is getting rather off-topic, but given the rate
at which I peel prawns, just /how/ do you economically
peel all the prawns we find in our food nowadays? Or even
more pointedly, the delicious North Sea brown shrimps?

The other trick, as told to me by the celebrated mud-horse
netter Brendan Sellick, is simply to eat them whole!

My teeth are pretty bad, but I eat shrimps as is, and all except the
head and tail of prawns. I baulk at doing that with langoustine,
which are spiky.

I omitted to mention that I have been known to eat shrimps
whole, except for the easy-to-remove head. But I don't really
/like/ eating toenails nor hair nor fish scales nor winkle's
operculum! Spoils the nice bits.

I do, however, often suck out the head of prawns and
langoustines and squat lobsters, and positively revel
in the tomalley.

Must stop, before I start dribbling over the keyboard.

Old 22-07-2014, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:35:15 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Whilst woodlice are related to prawns and shrimps the thought of getting
the "Husks" off around a 1000 woodlice to make a sandwich...........
No thanks.
I'll stick to Prawns and shrimps.

That seems to be assuming boiling as the cooking method. Wouldn't it
be better to deep fry like you do locusts? Nice and crispy snack food
and unlike locusts the legs wouldn't get in your teeth.,

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 22-07-2014, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/2014 20:30, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:35:15 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Whilst woodlice are related to prawns and shrimps the thought of getting
the "Husks" off around a 1000 woodlice to make a sandwich...........
No thanks.
I'll stick to Prawns and shrimps.

That seems to be assuming boiling as the cooking method. Wouldn't it
be better to deep fry like you do locusts? Nice and crispy snack food
and unlike locusts the legs wouldn't get in your teeth.,

You could have your teeth scaled as you polish them off.
Old 22-07-2014, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/2014 21:19, David Hill wrote:
On 22/07/2014 20:30, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:35:15 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Whilst woodlice are related to prawns and shrimps the thought of getting
the "Husks" off around a 1000 woodlice to make a sandwich...........
No thanks.
I'll stick to Prawns and shrimps.

That seems to be assuming boiling as the cooking method. Wouldn't it
be better to deep fry like you do locusts? Nice and crispy snack food
and unlike locusts the legs wouldn't get in your teeth.,

You could have your teeth scaled as you polish them off.

But they wouldn't be very filling.

Old 23-07-2014, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/2014 22:30, Indigo wrote:
On 22/07/2014 21:19, David Hill wrote:
On 22/07/2014 20:30, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:35:15 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Whilst woodlice are related to prawns and shrimps the thought of
getting
the "Husks" off around a 1000 woodlice to make a sandwich...........
No thanks.
I'll stick to Prawns and shrimps.

That seems to be assuming boiling as the cooking method. Wouldn't it
be better to deep fry like you do locusts? Nice and crispy snack food
and unlike locusts the legs wouldn't get in your teeth.,

You could have your teeth scaled as you polish them off.

But they wouldn't be very filling.

Only if you amalgamate them into your diet