GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT Spelling & Grammar (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/210315-ot-spelling-grammar.html)

'Mike'[_4_] 24-07-2014 11:08 AM

OT Spelling & Grammar

I ain't no good at spelin or grammer and I know that there are some experts
here and those that converse with me off line who are both good at spelin
and gramer, but I have a problem with a piece I am trying to write.

When to use 'spilt' and when to use 'spilled'.

Hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppppppppp

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 30th July 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] 24-07-2014 11:34 AM

OT Spelling & Grammar

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:08:18 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

I ain't no good at spelin or grammer and I know that there are some experts
here and those that converse with me off line who are both good at spelin
and gramer, but I have a problem with a piece I am trying to write.

When to use 'spilt' and when to use 'spilled'.

Hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppppppppp

Mike

Context!

I would use "the water has been spilt" as a statement and "have you
spilled the water?" as a question.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

[email protected] 24-07-2014 05:05 PM

OT Spelling & Grammar

Malcolm wrote:

In article , 'Mike'
writes
I ain't no good at spelin or grammer and I know that there are some
experts here and those that converse with me off line who are both good
at spelin and gramer, but I have a problem with a piece I am trying to
write.

When to use 'spilt' and when to use 'spilled'.

Hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppppppppp

They're interchangeable. Use which you like whenever you like. However,
some uses have become conventional, e.g. spilt milk not spilled milk,
but it really doesn't matter as long as it is comprehensible.

In much the same way as spelled and spelt are interchangeable.

--
Chris Green
·

David Hill 24-07-2014 05:41 PM

OT Spelling & Grammar

On 24/07/2014 17:05, wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

In article , 'Mike'
writes
I ain't no good at spelin or grammer and I know that there are some
experts here and those that converse with me off line who are both good
at spelin and gramer, but I have a problem with a piece I am trying to
write.

When to use 'spilt' and when to use 'spilled'.

Hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppppppppp

They're interchangeable. Use which you like whenever you like. However,
some uses have become conventional, e.g. spilt milk not spilled milk,
but it really doesn't matter as long as it is comprehensible.

In much the same way as spelled and spelt are interchangeable.

These don't bother me half as much as ........
the now common usage of "For Free"
the use of "Times it by..." instead of multiply it by
and the use of "Faux" instead of Fake

Tomin Dotsson 24-07-2014 05:44 PM

OT Spelling & Grammar

"David Hill" wrote in message
These don't bother me half as much as ........
the now common usage of "For Free"
the use of "Times it by..." instead of multiply it by
and the use of "Faux" instead of Fake

proactive instead of just active

David Hill 24-07-2014 06:07 PM

OT Spelling & Grammar

On 24/07/2014 17:44, Tomin Dotsson wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
These don't bother me half as much as ........
the now common usage of "For Free"
the use of "Times it by..." instead of multiply it by
and the use of "Faux" instead of Fake

proactive instead of just active

Just wondering if "faux pas" now means Step Father?

David Hill 24-07-2014 07:44 PM

OT Spelling & Grammar

On 24/07/2014 19:30, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:41:38 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 24/07/2014 17:05, wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

In article , 'Mike'
writes
I ain't no good at spelin or grammer and I know that there are some
experts here and those that converse with me off line who are both good
at spelin and gramer, but I have a problem with a piece I am trying to
write.

When to use 'spilt' and when to use 'spilled'.

Hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppppppppp

They're interchangeable. Use which you like whenever you like. However,
some uses have become conventional, e.g. spilt milk not spilled milk,
but it really doesn't matter as long as it is comprehensible.

In much the same way as spelled and spelt are interchangeable.

These don't bother me half as much as ........
the now common usage of "For Free"
the use of "Times it by..." instead of multiply it by
and the use of "Faux" instead of Fake

ISTR that 'faux' has been around for a very long time, e.g. in the rag
trade, as in faux-fur etc. Apparently used in English since 1676
(
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/faux). But I agree with you on
your other points. 'Multiple' gets me. Everything is 'multiple'.
Whatever happened to 'many'?

Kids get such a good education these days, with numbers passing exams
ever increasing, so it must be OK!

Faux has been around a long time, esp. in France. But I remember in the
60 when people had "fake fur" coats, cushions etc. and artificial leather.
God help anyone who tells me it's OK it's a Faux £20 note.

Gary Woods 24-07-2014 09:15 PM

OT Spelling & Grammar

wrote:

In much the same way as spelled and spelt are interchangeable.

unless you're talking about the grain. But who am I to advise on English?
I speak the distantly related American dialect.

David Rance[_3_] 25-07-2014 10:33 AM

OT Spelling & Grammar

In message , David Hill
writes
On 24/07/2014 17:05, wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

In article , 'Mike'
writes
I ain't no good at spelin or grammer and I know that there are some
experts here and those that converse with me off line who are both good
at spelin and gramer, but I have a problem with a piece I am trying to
write.

When to use 'spilt' and when to use 'spilled'.

Hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppppppppp

They're interchangeable. Use which you like whenever you like. However,
some uses have become conventional, e.g. spilt milk not spilled milk,
but it really doesn't matter as long as it is comprehensible.

In much the same way as spelled and spelt are interchangeable.

These don't bother me half as much as ........
the now common usage of "For Free"
the use of "Times it by..." instead of multiply it by
and the use of "Faux" instead of Fake

Or those people, when you ask them how they are, say, "I'm good"!

I'm asking after their health, not their behaviour!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Jim S 25-07-2014 11:08 AM

OT Spelling & Grammar

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:33:52 +0100, David Rance wrote:

In message , David Hill
writes
On 24/07/2014 17:05, wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

In article , 'Mike'
writes
[...]

I quite like that as I'm not the slightest bit interested in their health,
nor are you I fancy.
--
Jim S

Bob Hobden 25-07-2014 11:14 AM

OT Spelling & Grammar

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

David Hill wrote:

wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

'Mike'writes
[...]

I love the signs at the side of the road saying "Massive rug sale", who
wants a massive rug.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

David Hill 25-07-2014 01:03 PM

OT Spelling & Grammar

On 25/07/2014 12:40, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:14:28 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

David Hill wrote:

wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

'Mike'writes
[...]

and the now removed signs warning of soft verges.

Or everyone's favourite
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps68d9fab8.jpg

S Viemeister[_2_] 25-07-2014 01:13 PM

OT Spelling & Grammar

On 7/25/2014 5:33 AM, David Rance wrote:

Or those people, when you ask them how they are, say, "I'm good"!

I'm asking after their health, not their behaviour!

Even worse is "Would you like more tea?", answered with "I'm good."

David Rance[_3_] 25-07-2014 04:44 PM

OT Spelling & Grammar

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

David Hill wrote:

wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

'Mike'writes
[...]

Or a giant boot!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

David Rance[_3_] 25-07-2014 04:49 PM

OT Spelling & Grammar

In message , Jim S
writes
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:33:52 +0100, David Rance wrote:

In message , David Hill
writes
On 24/07/2014 17:05, wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

In article , 'Mike'
writes
[...]

I only ask people I know well. But I do object to someone young enough
to be my grandson and whom I've never met before demanding (yes,
demanding!) to know how I am, and they get very sniffy if I don't
answer.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France