Old 24-07-2014, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Spelling & Grammar

I ain't no good at spelin or grammer and I know that there are some experts
here and those that converse with me off line who are both good at spelin
and gramer, but I have a problem with a piece I am trying to write.

When to use 'spilt' and when to use 'spilled'.

Hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppppppppp

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 30th July 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

Old 24-07-2014, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:08:18 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

I ain't no good at spelin or grammer and I know that there are some experts
here and those that converse with me off line who are both good at spelin
and gramer, but I have a problem with a piece I am trying to write.

When to use 'spilt' and when to use 'spilled'.

Hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppppppppp

Mike

Context!

I would use "the water has been spilt" as a statement and "have you
spilled the water?" as a question.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 24-07-2014, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm wrote:

In article , 'Mike'
writes
I ain't no good at spelin or grammer and I know that there are some
experts here and those that converse with me off line who are both good
at spelin and gramer, but I have a problem with a piece I am trying to
write.

When to use 'spilt' and when to use 'spilled'.

Hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppppppppp

They're interchangeable. Use which you like whenever you like. However,
some uses have become conventional, e.g. spilt milk not spilled milk,
but it really doesn't matter as long as it is comprehensible.

In much the same way as spelled and spelt are interchangeable.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 24-07-2014, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
These don't bother me half as much as ........
the now common usage of "For Free"
the use of "Times it by..." instead of multiply it by
and the use of "Faux" instead of Fake

proactive instead of just active

Old 24-07-2014, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/2014 17:44, Tomin Dotsson wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
These don't bother me half as much as ........
the now common usage of "For Free"
the use of "Times it by..." instead of multiply it by
and the use of "Faux" instead of Fake

proactive instead of just active

Just wondering if "faux pas" now means Step Father?
Old 24-07-2014, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/2014 19:30, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:41:38 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 24/07/2014 17:05, wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

In article , 'Mike'
writes
I ain't no good at spelin or grammer and I know that there are some
experts here and those that converse with me off line who are both good
at spelin and gramer, but I have a problem with a piece I am trying to
write.

When to use 'spilt' and when to use 'spilled'.

Hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppppppppp

They're interchangeable. Use which you like whenever you like. However,
some uses have become conventional, e.g. spilt milk not spilled milk,
but it really doesn't matter as long as it is comprehensible.

In much the same way as spelled and spelt are interchangeable.

These don't bother me half as much as ........
the now common usage of "For Free"
the use of "Times it by..." instead of multiply it by
and the use of "Faux" instead of Fake

ISTR that 'faux' has been around for a very long time, e.g. in the rag
trade, as in faux-fur etc. Apparently used in English since 1676
(
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/faux). But I agree with you on
your other points. 'Multiple' gets me. Everything is 'multiple'.
Whatever happened to 'many'?

Kids get such a good education these days, with numbers passing exams
ever increasing, so it must be OK!

Faux has been around a long time, esp. in France. But I remember in the
60 when people had "fake fur" coats, cushions etc. and artificial leather.
God help anyone who tells me it's OK it's a Faux £20 note.
Old 25-07-2014, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

David Hill wrote:

wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

'Mike'writes
[...]

I love the signs at the side of the road saying "Massive rug sale", who
wants a massive rug.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-07-2014, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/2014 12:40, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:14:28 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

David Hill wrote:

wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

'Mike'writes
[...]

and the now removed signs warning of soft verges.

Or everyone's favourite
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps68d9fab8.jpg
Old 25-07-2014, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/25/2014 5:33 AM, David Rance wrote:

Or those people, when you ask them how they are, say, "I'm good"!

I'm asking after their health, not their behaviour!

Even worse is "Would you like more tea?", answered with "I'm good."

Old 25-07-2014, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

David Hill wrote:

wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

'Mike'writes
[...]

Or a giant boot!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 25-07-2014, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jim S
writes
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:33:52 +0100, David Rance wrote:

In message , David Hill
writes
On 24/07/2014 17:05, wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

In article , 'Mike'
writes
[...]

I quite like that as I'm not the slightest bit interested in their health,
nor are you I fancy.

I only ask people I know well. But I do object to someone young enough
to be my grandson and whom I've never met before demanding (yes,
demanding!) to know how I am, and they get very sniffy if I don't
answer.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Grammar shazzbat United Kingdom 8 22-10-2013 10:24 AM
Grammar question - is "hir" grammatically correct? John Savard Ponds 0 24-09-2007 09:02 AM
Grammar Police Needed Iris Cohen Plant Science 13 02-10-2004 01:52 PM
Spelling issues Sherwin Dubren Edible Gardening 0 09-02-2004 06:42 AM
[IBC] Punctuation and grammar Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 21-02-2003 03:39 PM