Old 28-08-2014, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tomato problem

I have three breeds of tomato ripening in the greenhouse. Gardeners
Delight, New Girl and Ferline F1.
Problem is that as the tomato's ripen there are yellow patches at the top.
I have never experienced this before.

Bill P.
Shildon
Cradle of the Railways
South/West Durham Land of the Prince Bishops.
Old 28-08-2014, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill P" wrote

I have three breeds of tomato ripening in the greenhouse. Gardeners
Delight, New Girl and Ferline F1.
Problem is that as the tomato's ripen there are yellow patches at the top.
I have never experienced this before.

Sounds like Tomato Greenback. They believe it's caused by low levels of
potassium and phosphate and/or hot sunlight that damages the stalk end. So a
good tomato feed and shading in hot sunlight and don't remove too many of
the leaves which do provide shading to the fruit and keep the house
ventilated to reduce heat buildup.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-08-2014, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Bill P" wrote

I have three breeds of tomato ripening in the greenhouse. Gardeners
Delight, New Girl and Ferline F1.
Problem is that as the tomato's ripen there are yellow patches at the
top.
I have never experienced this before.

Sounds like Tomato Greenback. They believe it's caused by low levels of
potassium and phosphate and/or hot sunlight that damages the stalk end. So
a good tomato feed and shading in hot sunlight and don't remove too many
of the leaves which do provide shading to the fruit and keep the house
ventilated to reduce heat buildup.

Or give Danger Mouse a call.

--
David

Old 28-08-2014, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/08/2014 15:25, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Bill P" wrote

I have three breeds of tomato ripening in the greenhouse. Gardeners
Delight, New Girl and Ferline F1.
Problem is that as the tomato's ripen there are yellow patches at the
top.
I have never experienced this before.

Sounds like Tomato Greenback. They believe it's caused by low levels of
potassium and phosphate and/or hot sunlight that damages the stalk end.
So a good tomato feed and shading in hot sunlight and don't remove too
many of the leaves which do provide shading to the fruit and keep the
house ventilated to reduce heat buildup.

Green back tends to be a genetic thing found in some varieties, it
consists of dark green stripes radiating out from the calyx and tapering
off around the shoulder of the tomato. It's not a sign of any problem,
but it sound to me as if what you have is Tomato Blotch; wrongly called
green back by some; this can be either virus or mineral deficiency.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps5837106b.jpg
Old 28-08-2014, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:14:06 +0100, Bill P wrote:

I have three breeds of tomato ripening in the greenhouse. Gardeners
Delight, New Girl and Ferline F1.
Problem is that as the tomato's ripen there are yellow patches at the top.
I have never experienced this before.

Get a dose of potash for them. You don't need much. It's too late for
ones already ripened.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 28-08-2014, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/08/2014 15:25, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Bill P" wrote

I have three breeds of tomato ripening in the greenhouse. Gardeners
Delight, New Girl and Ferline F1.
Problem is that as the tomato's ripen there are yellow patches at the
top.
I have never experienced this before.

Sounds like Tomato Greenback. They believe it's caused by low levels of
potassium and phosphate and/or hot sunlight that damages the stalk end.
So a good tomato feed and shading in hot sunlight and don't remove too
many of the leaves which do provide shading to the fruit and keep the
house ventilated to reduce heat buildup.

Hi Bob, you mentioned shading and I don't know what I was thinking but I
have not used any shading this year. I usually use coolglass.
I have not had been able to spend very much time in the garden this
year, not as fit as I once was.When I have been out there its been a
struggle.
Thanks for your input Bob.

Old 28-08-2014, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/08/2014 12:14, Bill P wrote:
I have three breeds of tomato ripening in the greenhouse. Gardeners
Delight, New Girl and Ferline F1.
Problem is that as the tomato's ripen there are yellow patches at the top.
I have never experienced this before.

Bill P.
Shildon
Cradle of the Railways
South/West Durham Land of the Prince Bishops.

Thanks everyone for your help.