Old 01-09-2014, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default !! Pics of trees for Spider

"Spider" wrote in message

It's a posh
name for pruning to (below) the bud you want the next growth to sprout
from.

Right! I do that with other stuff I have cut back. Heh I know how to
do it, I just don't know the name of it)

Great! That makes proceedings much easier.

Phew I got something right!!!!! g

Of course you did :~). You know more than you think you do, I'm sure.

Heh I wouldn't count on that))

You probably already do it with your roses, but you need to
understand it to shape your trees and shrubs properly.

Right! My roses are climbers and I am leaving them to do their thing
along with some other climbers, over an arch recently erected)

If recently erected, and the roses et al, recently pruned to their
situation, then all is probably well there. Some future pruning will
be inevitable, though. You will have The Book by then ... and URG,
just in case :~).

Oh Yes, thank goodness. You are a godsend) Will this book cover such
things as the climbing roses too?

Oh, indeed it does! It covers all aspects of pruning and training roses,
so you'll have a fair bit of reading to do.

Yes) I have been having a look)) Did you see, it has arrived!!!! )))
Gosh it is a super book btw. Thank you for the recommendation

I haven't pruned them at all since I
have been back. They were all over the place but I just tied them
into the rest so I would have something to train over the arch. I have
to say there is quite a thicket. They have honeysuckle growing through
them too. Hmm I don't remember planting that At least now I will
be coming up fairly regularly so it won't be left to its own devices for
several years again and the work I do now with pay off for the future.
Taming this garden is a full time job g

But you're loving every minute of it, I bet :~). Hope you've left enough
time to plant some bulbs for spring;~).

??? I hadn't even thought about those!!! Do I still have time???

Thanks, will do) Incidentally, I have seen 'growmore' in the pound
shops. Will that be the same stuff I see in garden centres?

It certainly should be, or it shouldn't carry the name. Have a look on
line so you know what n-p-k proper Growmore has, and compare prices/sizes
before you check out the local cheapie.

I will do that! Thank you err what is n-p-k please?

Oh heck! You don't feel like a holiday in Scotland by any chance
???? ;-)

Dinna panic, lassie, as they say up't there! :~)))

lol they do indeed)

I am looking forward to my next foray into your garden. Quite an
adventure and remarkably good for my brain. Thank you.

Noooo thank YOU!!! You are welcome into my garden any old time you
fancy ) In fact I welcome you with open arms !!!

Ophelia

Thank you, Ophelia:~). That's truly nice of you.

It would be even nicer for me if you actually turned up ... ;-) Gosh,
imagine me having all that knowledge under my roof!! heh you might get no
peace))

Now it's time to discuss the 'undercut', so that you don't tear the bark
as your pruning cut reaches the lower side of the branch and the weight of
the part-severed branch suddenly accelerates the fall and rips the bark as
the limb descends.

Ahhhh!! yes, that makes sense! If the bark were ripped like that, could it
kill the tree? Could it not repair itself?

Once you've identified the branch you're going to cut and, especially if
it's a long/heavy branch, it will help to follow David's advice and make
at least one cut through the length of the branch to lighten the load.
(With a mature forest tree, a tree surgeon may make several cuts before he
nears the trunk and prepares to sever the branch where it joins). David
cited 12" to 18" for the sort of work you will be doing, and that's fine.

http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Limb-from-a-Tree

So if you received that link, you should now understand how to make a
partial cut under the unwanted branch close to the site where you intend
to make your downward cut. When I'm pruning tree branches here, I confess
I try and get the undercut as close as I can to the intended downcut, so
there is no step as shown in the link. If I get it right, then I just
need to neaten up the cut with secateurs so there are no snags. However,
until you're confident that you're getting it right, leave enough room
before the 'collar' to make a second and final clean cut with a minimal
undercut as shown.

Thank goodness for the link! That's not easy to explain, but I hope I've
managed to get it over all right. You may not need to do a lot of that
heavy duty pruning, but it's important to know how to do it correctly.
Once you know it, it's just common sense followed by practice.

Yes! Thank you! As you know I am saving all your posts along with the
links you have provided, so I can refer back.

Right, I'm now starting to get a bit woolly-brained; I'm not sure if I've
missed a plant or a technique. I don't want to leave you high and dry
before The Book turns up, so do let me know if you've still got a query,
if if you need a clearer explanation, and I'll do my best. Perhaps David,
or another pruning geek will pop up if I've missed a basic technique that
would guide you through the pruning maze.

I'll have a quick peek at your last pic links to see if I'm receiving
them.

Happy gardening!

Thank you so much for all your time and trouble I am very grateful and I
have learned so much already from your kind posts and explanations.

If I am allowed, I doubt you have heard the last from me ;-)

Be well and enjoy your own garden Heh you might even get the time
now)))

Best always

Ophelia

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/09/2014 17:22, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

It's a posh
name for pruning to (below) the bud you want the next growth to
sprout
from.

Right! I do that with other stuff I have cut back. Heh I know how to
do it, I just don't know the name of it)

Great! That makes proceedings much easier.

Phew I got something right!!!!! g

Of course you did :~). You know more than you think you do, I'm sure.

Heh I wouldn't count on that))

I am counting on it. I can sense it's true.

[...]

You certainly do! You can tulips off for a bit, but you could be
planting lots of other lovely gems. Time for a visit to the garden
centre, me thinks!

[...]

Neither would you ... I'd probably never stop, once started! :~))
Anyway, I don't know everything. I have my weaknesses.

Now it's time to discuss the 'undercut', so that you don't tear the
bark as your pruning cut reaches the lower side of the branch and the
weight of the part-severed branch suddenly accelerates the fall and
rips the bark as the limb descends.

Ahhhh!! yes, that makes sense! If the bark were ripped like that,
could it kill the tree? Could it not repair itself?

It could certainly be very damaging and, on a plum tree, it could let in
Silver Leaf and heaven knows what. I seem to think you had a torn stub
on your plum tree. It had partly healed and partly died back, so you'll
be able to see what can happen following a bad cut. That stub needs
your attention since you're going to become an expert overnight ;~)!

[...]

You are certainly allowed! It would be a pleasure to help if I can.

Be well and enjoy your own garden Heh you might even get the time
now)))

Best always

Ophelia

I am already much better than I was, thank you. I shall enjoy doing a
spot of my own gardening, but I've got a couple of busy weeks coming up,
but then hope to get stuck in, not least planting lots and lots of
bulbs:~)).

Take care, Ophelia, and enjoy that book and your garden.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

Phew I got something right!!!!! g

Of course you did :~). You know more than you think you do, I'm sure.

Heh I wouldn't count on that))

I am counting on it. I can sense it's true.

I bow to your undoubted knowledge and experience, but I don't have too much
confidence in myself.

The book

Yes) I have been having a look)) Did you see, it has arrived!!!!
))) Gosh it is a super book btw. Thank you for the recommendation

roses

I haven't pruned them at all since I
have been back. They were all over the place but I just tied them
into the rest so I would have something to train over the arch. I have
to say there is quite a thicket. They have honeysuckle growing through
them too. Hmm I don't remember planting that At least now I
will
be coming up fairly regularly so it won't be left to its own devices
for
several years again and the work I do now with pay off for the future.
Taming this garden is a full time job g

Bulbs

But you're loving every minute of it, I bet :~). Hope you've left
enough time to plant some bulbs for spring;~).

??? I hadn't even thought about those!!! Do I still have time???

You certainly do! You can tulips off for a bit, but you could be planting
lots of other lovely gems. Time for a visit to the garden centre, me
thinks!

Yes? Then I shall have a trip there in Sunday)) I do love daffodils!
Will I be in time?

[...]

Well you are very knowledgeable and you have been very kind and generous
with your expertise and time.

Now it's time to discuss the 'undercut', so that you don't tear the
bark as your pruning cut reaches the lower side of the branch and the
weight of the part-severed branch suddenly accelerates the fall and
rips the bark as the limb descends.

Ahhhh!! yes, that makes sense! If the bark were ripped like that,
could it kill the tree? Could it not repair itself?

It could certainly be very damaging and, on a plum tree, it could let in
Silver Leaf and heaven knows what. I seem to think you had a torn stub on
your plum tree. It had partly healed and partly died back, so you'll be
able to see what can happen following a bad cut. That stub needs your
attention since you're going to become an expert overnight ;~)!

Huh! Expert? Me? lol anyway I am not sure which stub you are referring
to. Oh dear, you have me worried now.

Thank goodness for the link! That's not easy to explain, but I hope
I've managed to get it over all right. You may not need to do a lot
of that heavy duty pruning, but it's important to know how to do it
correctly. Once you know it, it's just common sense followed by
practice.

If I am allowed, I doubt you have heard the last from me ;-)

You are certainly allowed! It would be a pleasure to help if I can.

Thank you. That is most comforting)

Be well and enjoy your own garden Heh you might even get the time
now)))

I am already much better than I was, thank you. I shall enjoy doing a
spot of my own gardening, but I've got a couple of busy weeks coming up,
but then hope to get stuck in, not least planting lots and lots of
bulbs:~)).

Take care, Ophelia, and enjoy that book and your garden.

Thank you, I will

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/09/2014 23:21, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

[pruned]

Bulbs

But you're loving every minute of it, I bet :~). Hope you've left
enough time to plant some bulbs for spring;~).

??? I hadn't even thought about those!!! Do I still have time???

You certainly do! You can tulips off for a bit, but you could be
planting
lots of other lovely gems. Time for a visit to the garden centre, me
thinks!

Yes? Then I shall have a trip there in Sunday)) I do love daffodils!
Will I be in time?

Yes, indeed. Just grab 'em and bung 'em in! If your soil is on the
heavy side, buy a bag of sharp sand or grit to work into the bottom of
the planting hole to improve drainage.

Thanks, will do) Incidentally, I have seen 'growmore' in the pound
shops. Will that be the same stuff I see in garden centres?

It certainly should be, or it shouldn't carry the name. Have a look
on line so you know what n-p-k proper Growmore has, and compare
prices/sizes before you check out the local cheapie.

I will do that! Thank you err what is n-p-k please?

Sorry! It is Nitrogen-Phosphorous-Potassium. When you buy a plant
feed, look at the n-p-k ratio on the label. It will tell you the
proportion of each nutrient, so you can feed your plants correctly. In
spring, you may be looking for a more nitrogenous feed, so look for a
higher 'n'number. Later in the year, or when a plant is producing
flowers, you will need to look for a higher 'K' number. This is the
'high potash feed' that you will have seen recommended on urg whenever a
plant fails to flower or fruit as expected, but it is also used
regularly by many gardeners to keep their roses (and other flowers) and
tomatoes performing.
Nitrogen promotes leafy growth, Phosphorus encourages root development,
Potassium promotes flower and fruit production (it also helps to
ripen/harden off plant growth and help prepare it for winter).

I am looking forward to my next foray into your garden. Quite an
adventure and remarkably good for my brain. Thank you.

Noooo thank YOU!!! You are welcome into my garden any old time you
fancy ) In fact I welcome you with open arms !!!

Ophelia

Thank you, Ophelia:~). That's truly nice of you.

It would be even nicer for me if you actually turned up ... ;-) Gosh,
imagine me having all that knowledge under my roof!! heh you might get
no peace))

Neither would you ... I'd probably never stop, once started! :~)) Anyway,
I don't know everything. I have my weaknesses.

Well you are very knowledgeable and you have been very kind and generous
with your expertise and time.

You're more than welcome. I've enjoyed doing it.

Now it's time to discuss the 'undercut', so that you don't tear the
bark as your pruning cut reaches the lower side of the branch and the
weight of the part-severed branch suddenly accelerates the fall and
rips the bark as the limb descends.

Ahhhh!! yes, that makes sense! If the bark were ripped like that,
could it kill the tree? Could it not repair itself?

It could certainly be very damaging and, on a plum tree, it could let in
Silver Leaf and heaven knows what. I seem to think you had a torn
stub on
your plum tree. It had partly healed and partly died back, so you'll be
able to see what can happen following a bad cut. That stub needs your
attention since you're going to become an expert overnight ;~)!

Huh! Expert? Me? lol anyway I am not sure which stub you are referring
to. Oh dear, you have me worried now.

I can only guide you to it by looking at your first set of pics, so I'll
I've added nothing below so you need not scroll down. I'll see you at
JD's original post.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 01/09/2014 23:21, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

[pruned]

Bulbs

But you're loving every minute of it, I bet :~). Hope you've left
enough time to plant some bulbs for spring;~).

??? I hadn't even thought about those!!! Do I still have time???

You certainly do! You can tulips off for a bit, but you could be
planting
lots of other lovely gems. Time for a visit to the garden centre, me
thinks!

Yes? Then I shall have a trip there in Sunday)) I do love daffodils!
Will I be in time?

Yes, indeed. Just grab 'em and bung 'em in! If your soil is on the heavy
side, buy a bag of sharp sand or grit to work into the bottom of the
planting hole to improve drainage.

Thank you Will do) Gosh that will be a treat and liven things up in
the spring)

[...]

Gosh, the technical stuff eh)) Thank you Good thing! I am saving your
posts to refer to)

I don't know everything. I have my weaknesses.

Well you are very knowledgeable and you have been very kind and generous
with your expertise and time.

Plum

You're more than welcome. I've enjoyed doing it.
It could certainly be very damaging and, on a plum tree, it could let in
Silver Leaf and heaven knows what. I seem to think you had a torn
stub on
your plum tree. It had partly healed and partly died back, so you'll be
able to see what can happen following a bad cut. That stub needs your
attention since you're going to become an expert overnight ;~)!

Huh! Expert? Me? lol anyway I am not sure which stub you are
referring
to. Oh dear, you have me worried now.

I can only guide you to it by looking at your first set of pics, so I'll
I've added nothing below so you need not scroll down. I'll see you at
JD's original post.

Ok thanks. You will see I have reposted them because I clear pics out that
I think I have done with

Thank you, as always)

Best O

--