GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Calochortus unobtanium (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/210725-calochortus-unobtanium.html)

david 08-10-2014 05:16 PM

Calochortus unobtanium

On 08/10/2014 15:52, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 14:46:33 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 06/10/2014 21:31, Nick Maclaren wrote:
The main one I missed was Calochortus albus, but why are they so
unobtainable in Europe? Only 3-4 seem to be available at all,
and I did a Web search for Calochortus albus in both the UK and
Netherlands. But there are quite a few, and most are very nice
bulbs for dry locations.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

No Calochortus albus, Nick, but have you seen RV Roger's range of
Calochortus?

http://www.rvroger.co.uk/index.php?l...arch&x=0 &y=0

AFAIR R V Rogers gets/got his bulbs from a grower in Voorhout, which is a couple
of miles from where we live. Which grower? I'd guess Theo de Boer who registered
himself as a grower of some the Calochortus with the KAVB. http://www.kavb.nl/
I don't find his registration with their search tool.
http://www.kavb.nl/zoekresultaten

http://www.jpdegoede.nl/ is registered as a grower of Calochortus and his
website links to https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/ in Gloucester.There you
find
https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.co...tus&x= 12&y=5

Compare Brent & Becky, R V Roger's with Weijers in Hillegom
http://www.csweijers.nl/web/Assortim...2075&focus=ctv

Calochortus Cupid
Calochortus Golden Orb
Calochortus Superbus
Calochortus Symphony --- not on Roger's list.
Calochortus Venustus
Calochortus Violet Queen

You can add this one to the list
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Secret-Orch...4 634.c0.m322

Spider[_3_] 08-10-2014 10:38 PM

Calochortus unobtanium

On 08/10/2014 15:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:

No Calochortus albus, Nick, but have you seen RV Roger's range of
Calochortus?

http://www.rvroger.co.uk/index.php?l...arch&x=0 &y=0

Yes, though not on that site. That is more-or-less the standard one
(de Jager has "Burgundy" instead of "Cupido", but is otherwise the
same).

I don't know how many of them would grow outside in the UK, but I
suspect that many would on a raised bed or large pot of extremely
well-drained soil. There are apparently others that can take clay
meadows. And many of them are VERY attractive!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calochortus

Oooh! They're gorgeous! Doubt I'd be able to grow them on my heavy
clay soil but I dream of an alpine cold frame (mainly to keep them dry),
and that would give me the impetus to try. You're right, though:
they're not seen for sale very often.

Apparently, some might handle it. They are reputed to be tricky,
which is probably why they aren't available, but a lot of such
plants are quite happy under some conditions. I discovered that
Cyclamen coum loves heavy rain shadow by accident!

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pb...rowCalochortus

At best, they would be risky, but success would definitely pay that
back!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Just had a quick peep at that link (thanks for that), but will read it
in earnest tomorrow. It's never going to be easy, but might be worth a
try if I can find plants to experiment on. If only they were as easy as
Cyclamen coum! I haven't tried them in a rain shadow yet, so that's one
to try. It's time I tried them from seed, as I have with C.hederifolium
with great success. I love them to bits! One can't have too many:~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 09-10-2014 12:30 PM

Calochortus unobtanium

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Just had a quick peep at that link (thanks for that), but will read it
in earnest tomorrow. It's never going to be easy, but might be worth a
try if I can find plants to experiment on. If only they were as easy as
Cyclamen coum! I haven't tried them in a rain shadow yet, so that's one
to try. It's time I tried them from seed, as I have with C.hederifolium
with great success. I love them to bits! One can't have too many:~).

Yes. I discovered that C. coum would actually self-sow and establish
a carpet under those conditions - which I hadn't expected.

Unfortunately, all information is Calochortus are trickier :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_11_] 09-10-2014 03:47 PM

Calochortus unobtanium

On 2014-10-07 10:43:51 +0000, David said:

On 07/10/2014 09:18, sacha wrote:
Have you got Gladiolus pulchella, David? There's something about those -
delicacy of colouring probably - that made me think of them when I
looked at the Calochortus.

Don't know it Sacha, and cant find it on line, do you have the right name?
As for Calochortus, I was surprised to see quite a selection on E bay.
David

Der - senility must be setting in!! Gladiolus papilio!

So what was Google finding?

I found a Dutch book with bulb articles and prices printed in circa
1920, whilst
looking for unobtanium rarus good beer in the Netherlands.

I don't know what Google found but it wasn't my mistaken one! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com