GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Easy one... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/21102-easy-one.html)

Smeckler 07-05-2003 10:44 AM

Easy one...

This should be an easy one (?)

What's 'the other' yellow shrub that comes out in early spring, i.e. the
one that's not Forsythia?
The flowers are roughly spherical and a bit more orangey than
Forsythia's. The stems are numerous, thin and upright.

cheers,
Smeckler.

Serena Blanchflower 07-05-2003 10:56 AM

Easy one...

On Wed, 7 May 2003 10:35:09 +0100, "Smeckler"
wrote:

What's 'the other' yellow shrub that comes out in early spring, i.e. the
one that's not Forsythia?
The flowers are roughly spherical and a bit more orangey than
Forsythia's. The stems are numerous, thin and upright.

Kerria Japonica? There's a picture of one at
http://jammukashmir.nic.in/profile/flwr.htm

--
Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)

Judy Rigby 07-05-2003 10:56 AM

Easy one...

In article , Smeckler smecklers
writes
This should be an easy one (?)

What's 'the other' yellow shrub that comes out in early spring, i.e. the
one that's not Forsythia?
The flowers are roughly spherical and a bit more orangey than
Forsythia's. The stems are numerous, thin and upright.

cheers,
Smeckler.

Kerria ?
--
Judy
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bluelotusrising/index.html

Smeckler 07-05-2003 11:44 AM

Easy one...

Yep, Kerria Japonica it is...

thank you!

Anthony E Anson 07-05-2003 12:08 PM

Easy one...

The message
from "Smeckler" contains these words:

This should be an easy one (?)

What's 'the other' yellow shrub that comes out in early spring, i.e. the
one that's not Forsythia?
The flowers are roughly spherical and a bit more orangey than
Forsythia's. The stems are numerous, thin and upright.

Sounds like one of the burberis clan. I have one in the new abode's garden.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi

Helen 07-05-2003 05:20 PM

Easy one...

Smeckler,
When I read your question I immediately thought of winter flowering
jasmine which has lemon yellow flowers and I have often heard people
refer to it(wrongly) as Forsythia.

hayley 08-05-2003 09:32 AM

Easy one...

Yep, Kerria Japonica it is...

we've got this in our garden and it is rapidly taking over the whole
border - it is a very pretty plant (and mine flowers again a little in
autumn) but can be invasive :)
Hayley