GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   First tomato (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211381-first-tomato.html)

Bigal 05-04-2015 08:06 PM

First tomato

Picked my first tomato of the year today.

Morgan Shore 06-04-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigal (Post 1012725)
Picked my first tomato of the year today.

Great! As a child I loved eating freshly picked tomatoes dipped in sugar. So delicious.

Spider[_3_] 06-04-2015 01:18 PM

First tomato

On 05/04/2015 20:06, Bigal wrote:
Picked my first tomato of the year today.

That's very early! Grown in a greenuse, presumably, but still early.
Where are you?
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Bob Hobden 06-04-2015 03:28 PM

First tomato

"Bigal" wrote

Picked my first tomato of the year today.

Not even planted my seed yet but then I do grow them outside.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Bigal 06-04-2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] (Post 1012755)
On 05/04/2015 20:06, Bigal wrote:
Picked my first tomato of the year today.

That's very early! Grown in a greenuse, presumably, but still early.
Where are you?
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

30 miles north of Swansea. I mentioned last year that someone I knew managed to keep a strain of tomatoes going by taking cutting at the end of the growing season and keeping them in a windowsill. I gave it a try with gardeners delight. I put 6 in a five inch pot but left them in the heated greenhouse. They all put out flowering side shoots. I picked them off hoping that they would send out a more normal side shoot, but accidentally left one on. This produced 4 tiny (marble size) tomatoes. They had the gardeners delight taste. I tried a couple of other tomatoes later in the season but it seems as if it was too late for them to develop. I might try it again this year but a bit earlier to see if I can get the cuttings settled for the winter.