Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Registered User

Default First tomato

Picked my first tomato of the year today.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigal View Post
Picked my first tomato of the year today.
Great! As a child I loved eating freshly picked tomatoes dipped in sugar. So delicious.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2015 20:06, Bigal wrote:
Picked my first tomato of the year today.

That's very early! Grown in a greenuse, presumably, but still early.
Where are you?
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 06-04-2015, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bigal" wrote

Picked my first tomato of the year today.

Not even planted my seed yet but then I do grow them outside.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
On 05/04/2015 20:06, Bigal wrote:
Picked my first tomato of the year today.

That's very early! Grown in a greenuse, presumably, but still early.
Where are you?
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay
30 miles north of Swansea. I mentioned last year that someone I knew managed to keep a strain of tomatoes going by taking cutting at the end of the growing season and keeping them in a windowsill. I gave it a try with gardeners delight. I put 6 in a five inch pot but left them in the heated greenhouse. They all put out flowering side shoots. I picked them off hoping that they would send out a more normal side shoot, but accidentally left one on. This produced 4 tiny (marble size) tomatoes. They had the gardeners delight taste. I tried a couple of other tomatoes later in the season but it seems as if it was too late for them to develop. I might try it again this year but a bit earlier to see if I can get the cuttings settled for the winter.