Old 11-05-2015, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default HorseTail

On 10/05/2015 16:06, tvrchimaera wrote:
Having problems with a weed which I have been told is HorseTail.
Any suggestions to manage it?

Apart from moving house? I am told low yield tactical nukes are
reasonably effective against it but you should expect some regrowth.

Basically bruise and apply gel formulation glyphosate or dig down with a
large screwriver and pull up every single stem as far down as you can
get. A combination of these will keep it under control but the roots are
so extensive it will take decades to eliminate (forever if there is
somewhere nearby like a railway embankment where it can see the sun).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 11-05-2015, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Martin Brown wrote:

On 10/05/2015 16:06, tvrchimaera wrote:
Having problems with a weed which I have been told is HorseTail.
Any suggestions to manage it?

Apart from moving house? I am told low yield tactical nukes are
reasonably effective against it but you should expect some regrowth.

Basically bruise and apply gel formulation glyphosate or dig down with a
large screwriver and pull up every single stem as far down as you can
get. A combination of these will keep it under control but the roots are
so extensive it will take decades to eliminate (forever if there is
somewhere nearby like a railway embankment where it can see the sun).

Don't be discouraged by this macho-evil talk. If it's so aggressive,
why doesn't it take over the world? Horse-tail is plant like any
other. Pull it up or week-kill it every time it shows up and you'll
win. (But I do have to say that in the under-floor space of my house,
I saw what I though were mysterious electric wires, then I realised
they were horse-tail roots)

A neighbour (NOT next door) allowed horse-tail to take over his
garden. It looked interestingly different, as a moss-garden looks
interestingly different. It's your choice!

Michael Bell

--

---

Old 12-05-2015, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Michael Bell wrote:

Don't be discouraged by this macho-evil talk. If it's so aggressive,
why doesn't it take over the world? Horse-tail is plant like any
other. Pull it up or week-kill it every time it shows up and you'll
win. (But I do have to say that in the under-floor space of my house,
I saw what I though were mysterious electric wires, then I realised
they were horse-tail roots)

It's very condition-dependent, like many plants. I don't have it,
but I don't think that it prevents other plants from growing, any
more than my most persistent weed (field bindweed) does.

I have been trying to get rid of field bindweed from my vegetable
plot since 1978, including leaving parts fallow to use glyphosate,
and have not yet succeeded. Yes, you will win, but allow a good
many decades to do so ....

A neighbour (NOT next door) allowed horse-tail to take over his
garden. It looked interestingly different, as a moss-garden looks
interestingly different. It's your choice!

Yes, it's really quite attractive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.