GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   another orchid query (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211570-another-orchid-query.html)

Pam Moore[_3_] 11-05-2015 11:07 AM

another orchid query

What do you think of this?
My daughter visited a lady who had a lot of orchids (phals).
They were all looking healthy and most in flower.
She keeps them standing in tepid water!!!

Bob Hobden 11-05-2015 04:57 PM

another orchid query

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

What do you think of this?
My daughter visited a lady who had a lot of orchids (phals).
They were all looking healthy and most in flower.
She keeps them standing in tepid water!!!

If the roots are permanently wet they rot, so I would imagine she only has a
saucer of water under each plant, the plants are in a very free draining
compost (large bark chips?) and probably in one of the orchid pots that has
a raised bottom. I can see that working as it would give the roots high
humidity without too much wet and if the plant wants more water it will send
a root or two down into the water, a Vanilla Orchid I've got did that.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.