Old 10-06-2015, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frost!

My runner beans are still only just coming up in big pots, so they got
covered up with plastic bags last night. The precious climbing frenchies
that came from the seed bank in the Netherlands were swiftly into my porch.
Same tonight. 1 C predicted is enough to panic about newly emerging beans.
I always start my beans off in big pots and then transplant them a mile away
when they look big enough to take care of themselves.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/15 00:11, Christina Websell wrote:
My runner beans are still only just coming up in big pots, so they got
covered up with plastic bags last night. The precious climbing frenchies
that came from the seed bank in the Netherlands were swiftly into my porch.
Same tonight. 1 C predicted is enough to panic about newly emerging beans.
I always start my beans off in big pots and then transplant them a mile away
when they look big enough to take care of themselves.

It's been pretty cool down here in South Hampshire, although no sign of
frost. The biggest problem is lack of rain, and an incessant wind drying
everything out. The total rainfall for the 3 months of March, April, and
May was under 100 mm! The ground is dry down to at least 250 mm, so it's
a bit of a problem if there are plants in pots to put in. They dry out
in a day in pots, but the ground would need a good soaking for several
days at least if a plant was put in.

For the last couple of days the wind has been blowing from the north
east; before that it was south west, so it's moving around quite a bit!
It seems to be around force 5 or 6 most days, all day. Many leaves and
small branches from an ash and beech are on the ground, and soft-leaved
plants are getting shredded. It's really crazy weather for June.

--

Jeff

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
American frost zones tim United Kingdom 21 23-02-2003 12:16 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM