GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Storing and harvesting onions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211756-storing-harvesting-onions.html)

Broadback[_3_] 25-06-2015 11:43 AM

Storing and harvesting onions

Last year we had a wonderful crop, sadly there were more than we have
been able to consume to date and we eat a lot. They are now starting to
sprout, and most have green centres. I realise they are obeying nature
and getting ready to grow. We store them in strings hung in the garage.
Is there any way in the future to proven, or minimise this growth?
Secondly, this years crop are coming on well, I would not normally
harvest them for some little time, however can they be used if cooked
immediately after picking once the bulbs are large enough?

Janet 25-06-2015 12:00 PM

Storing and harvesting onions

In article ,
says...

Last year we had a wonderful crop, sadly there were more than we have
been able to consume to date and we eat a lot. They are now starting to
sprout, and most have green centres. I realise they are obeying nature
and getting ready to grow. We store them in strings hung in the garage.
Is there any way in the future to proven, or minimise this growth?

Even in this dismal summer, your garage is warming up so the onions
start to sprout.

If you ever have such a huge crop again, then it might be worth
peeling slicing and freezing the last of them, in March or so, before
they start to spoil.

Secondly, this years crop are coming on well, I would not normally
harvest them for some little time, however can they be used if cooked
immediately after picking once the bulbs are large enough?

Of course.

Janet.

Michael Uplawski 25-06-2015 01:37 PM

Storing and harvesting onions

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:00:48 +0100,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...
Secondly, this years crop are coming on well, I would not normally
harvest them for some little time, however can they be used if cooked
immediately after picking once the bulbs are large enough?

Of course.

And you use all, from bulb to tip. Summer is a generous season... ;-)

Janet.

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]

Broadback[_3_] 25-06-2015 05:05 PM

On 25/06/2015 13:37, Michael Uplawski wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:00:48 +0100,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...
Secondly, this years crop are coming on well, I would not normally
harvest them for some little time, however can they be used if cooked
immediately after picking once the bulbs are large enough?

Of course.

And you use all, from bulb to tip. Summer is a generous season... ;-)

Janet.

Thank you both for your help and tips

David Hill 25-06-2015 11:07 PM

On 25/06/2015 17:05, Broadback wrote:
On 25/06/2015 13:37, Michael Uplawski wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:00:48 +0100,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...
Secondly, this years crop are coming on well, I would not normally
harvest them for some little time, however can they be used if cooked
immediately after picking once the bulbs are large enough?

Of course.

And you use all, from bulb to tip. Summer is a generous season... ;-)

Janet.

Thank you both for your help and tips

Remember that with the ones that are sprouting you can use the green parts.

Andy Wilkes 26-06-2015 12:23 PM

Storing and harvesting onions

On 25/06/2015 13:37, Michael Uplawski wrote:

And you use all, from bulb to tip. Summer is a generous season... ;-)

I missed harvesting a bulb last year and so all the cloves sent up
shoots, tightly packed together. I thought I'd leave them and see what
happened. Whilst the bulbs are small and haven't split into cloves,
they are bigger than I expected.

I'm using them as green garlic - the bulb and the fleshy part of the
stalk - and they are absolutely fantastic. Green garlic has a much
fresher, spicier and pungent taste compared to when dried.

And its nice not having to peel tough dry skin off:)

--
regards andy