Old 25-06-2015, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storing and harvesting onions

Last year we had a wonderful crop, sadly there were more than we have
been able to consume to date and we eat a lot. They are now starting to
sprout, and most have green centres. I realise they are obeying nature
and getting ready to grow. We store them in strings hung in the garage.
Is there any way in the future to proven, or minimise this growth?
Secondly, this years crop are coming on well, I would not normally
harvest them for some little time, however can they be used if cooked
immediately after picking once the bulbs are large enough?
Old 25-06-2015, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2015 13:37, Michael Uplawski wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:00:48 +0100,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...
Secondly, this years crop are coming on well, I would not normally
harvest them for some little time, however can they be used if cooked
immediately after picking once the bulbs are large enough?

Of course.

And you use all, from bulb to tip. Summer is a generous season... ;-)

Janet.

Thank you both for your help and tips
Old 25-06-2015, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2015 17:05, Broadback wrote:
On 25/06/2015 13:37, Michael Uplawski wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:00:48 +0100,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...
Secondly, this years crop are coming on well, I would not normally
harvest them for some little time, however can they be used if cooked
immediately after picking once the bulbs are large enough?

Of course.

And you use all, from bulb to tip. Summer is a generous season... ;-)

Janet.

Thank you both for your help and tips

Remember that with the ones that are sprouting you can use the green parts.

Old 26-06-2015, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2015 13:37, Michael Uplawski wrote:

And you use all, from bulb to tip. Summer is a generous season... ;-)

I missed harvesting a bulb last year and so all the cloves sent up
shoots, tightly packed together. I thought I'd leave them and see what
happened. Whilst the bulbs are small and haven't split into cloves,
they are bigger than I expected.

I'm using them as green garlic - the bulb and the fleshy part of the
stalk - and they are absolutely fantastic. Green garlic has a much
fresher, spicier and pungent taste compared to when dried.

And its nice not having to peel tough dry skin off

--
regards andy

harvesting onions Andy Australia 2 29-11-2008 07:58 AM
Storing onions Bob Hobden United Kingdom 2 02-01-2007 08:58 AM
Storing onions Norman Kaye United Kingdom 7 01-01-2007 12:08 PM
Onions, harvesting, curing and storing Beth Pierce Gardening 2 12-07-2005 04:36 AM
Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 1 19-09-2003 06:51 AM