Old 26-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Registered User

Default Potato Flowers

Last year, just for fun, I planted a spud which was chitting in a big plastic pot full of home made compost. Fantastic success for a non gardener. 10lb from one little spud.

Thought i would have another go this year and in a couple of large pots, planted three chitting spuds. Earthed up to the top and now a forest of of very healthy green much to high to earth up any more, but I think it is high enough. ....... however. No flowers. Question from a non gardener. Do spud plants have to flower to show/produce the require crop of spuds?

Old 26-06-2015, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2015 07:43, mike crowe wrote:
Last year, just for fun, I planted a spud which was chitting in a big
plastic pot full of home made compost. Fantastic success for a non
gardener. 10lb from one little spud.

Thought i would have another go this year and in a couple of large pots,
planted three chitting spuds. Earthed up to the top and now a forest of
of very healthy green much to high to earth up any more, but I think it
is high enough. ....... however. No flowers. Question from a non
gardener. Do spud plants have to flower to show/produce the require crop
of spuds?

They say with some spuds you should wait until they have flowered or
until the flowers have gone before you dig them up but it isn't a hard
and fast rule.

With a long row of plants you would just lift the end plant a bit and
take a look but it is a problem with containers - knowing when to turn
them out. I wish I knew.

Tim w

Old 27-06-2015, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2015 07:43, mike crowe wrote:
Last year, just for fun, I planted a spud which was chitting in a big
plastic pot full of home made compost. Fantastic success for a non
gardener. 10lb from one little spud.

Thought i would have another go this year and in a couple of large pots,
planted three chitting spuds. Earthed up to the top and now a forest of
of very healthy green much to high to earth up any more, but I think it
is high enough. ....... however. No flowers. Question from a non
gardener. Do spud plants have to flower to show/produce the require crop
of spuds?

If you know the name of the variety, Google 'Potato King Edward when to
crop'(for example), and see what you learn. It seems to be different
for different potato varieties and different salad/early/second/main
crops. If you just used a shop-bought spud, then you may just have to
guess.

When I plant potatoes, I always put the date on the label because
(depending on variety/yield type), potatoes crop x weeks from date of
planting (eg: Swift 11-12wks, other Earlies slighty longer; Main Crop
longer still), so your date should give you a reasonable guide.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London