Old 29-06-2015, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default planting trees in bracken

Wondering if anyone knows about this.

I have a section of hedge which has been treeless (and hedge-less) for
perhaps 30 years. In this time, bracken and some bramble have moved in.
The bracken in particular is very thick.

I'd like to replant the hedge, I have plenty of Amur Maples to do the
job. They make a good thick hedge with great fall colour and nice spring
interest from white upright flowers. The seedlings are 3 years old, 2-3
ft.

The question is, can I just knock down the bracken and plant this fall,
maybe with some temporary fabric along the hedge line? Then in the
spring keep the bracken down around it? Or do I need to eliminate the
bracken (chemically, presumably?) first, which would put planting off for
at least a year.

Since bracken seems to successfully shut out competition I wonder if
there is some allelopathy which would inhibit my seedlings getting
established. Ugh, just looked it up and see this is an important
phenomenon... from wiki: "Herb and tree seedling growth may be inhibited
even after bracken fern is removed, apparently because active plant
toxins remain in the soil." Any experience in getting beyond this issue?

Thanks!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Bracken/Fern Colin Jackson United Kingdom 7 02-10-2011 10:26 PM
Bracken (again) hellomabel United Kingdom 9 21-04-2011 08:42 PM
Bracken harry United Kingdom 61 17-04-2011 02:08 PM
Bracken Fern? Raphanus Plant Science 4 25-08-2006 08:40 PM
Bracken compost Franz Heymann United Kingdom 30 07-10-2003 09:47 PM