Old 23-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Default Plant Identification.

Could someone identify this?

Photo attached.

Wish to safely transplant to new bed.

Kind Regards
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Plant Identification.-00000001.jpg
Old 23-07-2015, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tvrchimaera" wrote in message

Could someone identify this?

Photo attached.

Wish to safely transplant to new bed.

Kind Regards
Brian

|Filename: 00000001.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16325|

Crocosmia, tough as an old boot!

Phil

Old 23-07-2015, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/15 17:46, tvrchimaera wrote:
Could someone identify this?

Photo attached.

Wish to safely transplant to new bed.

Kind Regards
Brian

|Filename: 00000001.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16325|

I wouldn't worry about transplanting it. It will soon find its way to
your new bed and just about everywhere else in your garden.

Well, that /is/ a bit of an exaggeration. There are some very
well-behaved Crocosmias, but there are some awfully invasive ones, too.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to say which is which until they flower,
and even then it may not be clear. Just keep an eye out for plants which
appear well away from the main clump.

--

Jeff
Old 23-07-2015, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 22:05:08 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

+1 probably C. Lucifer. http://tinyurl.com/otjss7q

another +1 pm C. lucifer.

Hard to kill, which makes it a great bedding plant in my view!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 25-07-2015, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 23/07/15 17:46, tvrchimaera wrote:
Could someone identify this?

Photo attached.

Wish to safely transplant to new bed.

Kind Regards
Brian

|Filename: 00000001.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16325|

I wouldn't worry about transplanting it. It will soon find its way to your
new bed and just about everywhere else in your garden.

Well, that /is/ a bit of an exaggeration. There are some very well-behaved
Crocosmias, but there are some awfully invasive ones, too. Unfortunately,
it is impossible to say which is which until they flower, and even then it
may not be clear. Just keep an eye out for plants which appear well away
from the main clump.

How do they spread? - seeds?
I wouldn't mind a few of these but obviously I'm not paying for them if the
seeds are viable

Old 25-07-2015, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote ...

Chris Hogg wrote:

+1 probably C. Lucifer. http://tinyurl.com/otjss7q

another +1 pm C. lucifer.

Hard to kill, which makes it a great bedding plant in my view!

Too dry in my front garden, never flowered, always grew but then died early
before flowering. Grubbed it all out but difficult to get all the little
corms.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.