Old 24-08-2015, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What kind of critter in the pantry leaves these deposits on the shelves near the window?

Any idea what critters would be making these? They are in the pantry.

http://s10.postimg.org/8cocplg61/DSCF2818.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/rbdww9lp5/DSCF2817.jpg
Old 24-08-2015, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , mkj3123@
123123.com says...

Any idea what critters would be making these? They are in the pantry.

http://s10.postimg.org/8cocplg61/DSCF2818.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/rbdww9lp5/DSCF2817.jpg

I'd guess, insect infestation; the black dots are faeces and the white
detritus either empty egg cases or shed skins.

Janet.
Old 24-08-2015, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2015 11:22, Janet wrote:
In , mkj3123@
123123.com says...

Any idea what critters would be making these? They are in the pantry.

http://s10.postimg.org/8cocplg61/DSCF2818.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/rbdww9lp5/DSCF2817.jpg

I'd guess, insect infestation; the black dots are faeces and the white
detritus either empty egg cases or shed skins.

And yet the long thing looks a bit like a bird dropping...

Look up. They're probably falling from the ceiling. A close-up photo
would help.

Andy
Old 25-08-2015, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pendragon" wrote in message
Any idea what critters would be making these? They are in the pantry.

http://s10.postimg.org/8cocplg61/DSCF2818.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/rbdww9lp5/DSCF2817.jpg

Could be snail poo if its feeding on paper, the black spots could be spider
poo. either way have you looked above?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 25-08-2015, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pendragon" wrote in message
Any idea what critters would be making these? They are in the pantry.

http://s10.postimg.org/8cocplg61/DSCF2818.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/rbdww9lp5/DSCF2817.jpg

some sort of insects. Remove everything from your pantry and clean it with
anti-bac. Examine every tin and clean it Make sure lentils/cous cous/bulgar
etc are in tight containers.

Old 27-08-2015, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 20:38:33 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Pendragon" wrote in message
. ..
Any idea what critters would be making these? They are in the pantry.

http://s10.postimg.org/8cocplg61/DSCF2818.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/rbdww9lp5/DSCF2817.jpg

some sort of insects. Remove everything from your pantry and clean it
with
anti-bac. Examine every tin and clean it Make sure lentils/cous
cous/bulgar
etc are in tight containers.

Maybe the result of the "ant invasion".
http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/...ness-1-7415818

I liked some of the readers comments.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

It's not ants.

Old 27-08-2015, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 18:37:58 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Pendragon" wrote in message
Any idea what critters would be making these? They are in the pantry.

http://s10.postimg.org/8cocplg61/DSCF2818.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/rbdww9lp5/DSCF2817.jpg

some sort of insects. Remove everything from your pantry and clean it
with
anti-bac. Examine every tin and clean it Make sure lentils/cous
cous/bulgar
etc are in tight containers.

Maybe the result of the "ant invasion".
http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/...ness-1-7415818

I liked some of the readers comments.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

It's not ants.

Thanks for all your responses. No its not ants. I did have them once
but they cant resist coming out at night and being caught. I sealed
that hole up and no problems since. Plus I vinegar the outside walls
to deter them using the holes in the bricks.

Nothing above the shelves and ceiling and no obvious entry points for
anything. The long poo thing is a weird one for sure, no spider could
do that shirley?

I try and get a better pic then
Old 28-08-2015, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2015 21:25, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/08/2015 11:22, Janet wrote:
In , mkj3123@
123123.com says...

Any idea what critters would be making these? They are in the pantry.

http://s10.postimg.org/8cocplg61/DSCF2818.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/rbdww9lp5/DSCF2817.jpg

I'd guess, insect infestation; the black dots are faeces and the white
detritus either empty egg cases or shed skins.

And yet the long thing looks a bit like a bird dropping...

Indeed it does look like starling droppings.
Though the other bits and pieces could easily be from insects.

Look up. They're probably falling from the ceiling. A close-up photo
would help.

And some indication of scale like a coin or calibrated rule.

I can't decide whether the cable is for a modem or mains.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 30-08-2015, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 21:47:09 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 21:08:14 +0100, Pendragon
wrote:

Thanks for all your responses. No its not ants. I did have them once
but they cant resist coming out at night and being caught. I sealed
that hole up and no problems since. Plus I vinegar the outside walls
to deter them using the holes in the bricks.

Nothing above the shelves and ceiling and no obvious entry points for
anything. The long poo thing is a weird one for sure, no spider could
do that shirley?

I try and get a better pic then

It might help if there could be some indication of scale. If you're
going to take another picture, put a coin alongside the poo. A 5P
piece is about 3/4 inch, while 2P or 10P pieces are about 1 inch.

Sometimes snail poo can be quite long, but I can't tell from your pic
how big the poo is. And is it just the poo you want identifying, or
all the other dross as well?

Alternatively, someone's being doing some d-i-y work in the vicinity
(you mentioned sealing up a hole that ants were using), hence the
other dross, and the 'poo' is a worm of filler that's dropped
un-noticed off the end of cartridge nozzle and then dried hard.

Sorry guys its been cleaned up now so cant take another pic but will
keep an eye on the pantry in future.

The poo was small ball (thinnest) of string size in thickness and
would be around an inch or so in length, now rock hard. There were
another couple in straight lines elsewhere. The little bits are husks,
or old shells of something little granola size or less. Nothing to do
with any DIY. Its creature related for sure. The cable is just an old
battery charger mains cable, two core.

Aubergine leaves have brown deposits on! Bigus[_2_] United Kingdom 5 06-09-2014 08:41 AM
pantry moths? len Edible Gardening 13 30-12-2003 06:03 PM
Can you identify this critter ? (halfly OT, found it near the Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 3 25-07-2003 07:42 AM
Can you identify this critter ? (halfly OT, found it near the pond) Theo van Daele Ponds 4 23-07-2003 08:02 AM
What kind of critter steals bell peppers? Carol Adams Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM