GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   AmericanEnglish again (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212288-american-english-again.html)

Gary Woods 29-11-2015 06:27 PM

AmericanEnglish again

Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a "Widger."
Just a slightly curved piece of stainless steel sort of the size of a
largish pen; different widths on the 2 ends; used for pricking out
seedlings and transplanting small stuff.
The name sounds very British - is it?
Previously (and still for very small seedlings), I used a pocket sized
flatblade screwdriver.

Otherwise, I had to admit it isn't going to get any warmer for a while, so
removed the cylinders from 2 automatic greenhouse vents and tied the opener
mechanism closed for the duration.

Almost time to pore through the garden catalogs and dream...

philgurr 29-11-2015 10:21 PM

AmericanEnglish again

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a "Widger."
Just a slightly curved piece of stainless steel sort of the size of a
largish pen; different widths on the 2 ends; used for pricking out
seedlings and transplanting small stuff.
The name sounds very British - is it?
Previously (and still for very small seedlings), I used a pocket sized
flatblade screwdriver.

See :- http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...english/widger

Phil

Janet 30-11-2015 12:28 AM

AmericanEnglish again

In article ,
says...

Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a "Widger."
Just a slightly curved piece of stainless steel sort of the size of a
largish pen; different widths on the 2 ends; used for pricking out
seedlings and transplanting small stuff.
The name sounds very British - is it?

I've had one of those useful little whatsits for years but never knew
its name :-)

Previously (and still for very small seedlings), I used a pocket sized
flatblade screwdriver.

Otherwise, I had to admit it isn't going to get any warmer for a while, so
removed the cylinders from 2 automatic greenhouse vents and tied the opener
mechanism closed for the duration.

It's mild but horribly wild wet and windy here and has been for days.
Gardening impossible but I've been sorting out saved seeds for next year
and making birdfood with saved fat.

Janet, Isle of Arran

Jeff Layman[_2_] 30-11-2015 07:32 AM

AmericanEnglish again

On 29/11/15 18:27, Gary Woods wrote:
Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a "Widger."
Just a slightly curved piece of stainless steel sort of the size of a
largish pen; different widths on the 2 ends; used for pricking out
seedlings and transplanting small stuff.
The name sounds very British - is it?
Previously (and still for very small seedlings), I used a pocket sized
flatblade screwdriver.

These were used for years before the OED definition (see Phil's post),
but not for anything to do with gardening. They were used in chemistry
labs to get powders or other solid material from narrow-necked bottles.
If you want another one on your side of he pond, see he
http://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Spatula-T...868340&sr=1-23

Otherwise, I had to admit it isn't going to get any warmer for a while, so
removed the cylinders from 2 automatic greenhouse vents and tied the opener
mechanism closed for the duration.

Leave the windows open and grow alpines!

--

Jeff

David Rance[_3_] 30-11-2015 03:54 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:21:40 philgurr wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .

Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a "Widger."
Just a slightly curved piece of stainless steel sort of the size of a
largish pen; different widths on the 2 ends; used for pricking out
seedlings and transplanting small stuff.
The name sounds very British - is it?
Previously (and still for very small seedlings), I used a pocket sized
flatblade screwdriver.

See :- http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...english/widger

That reference suggests that it is a nonsense word "used in a series of
memory tests". There is no etymology connected with it other than that
so it would appear that it is a word that someone made up when he/she
didn't know what to call it, and it stuck.

The word doesn't appear in my 1950s OED.

David

Janet 30-11-2015 04:46 PM

AmericanEnglish again

In article ,
lid says...

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:21:40 philgurr wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .

Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a "Widger."
Just a slightly curved piece of stainless steel sort of the size of a
largish pen; different widths on the 2 ends; used for pricking out
seedlings and transplanting small stuff.
The name sounds very British - is it?
Previously (and still for very small seedlings), I used a pocket sized
flatblade screwdriver.

See :-
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...english/widger

That reference suggests that it is a nonsense word "used in a series of
memory tests". There is no etymology connected with it other than that
so it would appear that it is a word that someone made up when he/she
didn't know what to call it, and it stuck.

The word doesn't appear in my 1950s OED.

Oxford Dictionary

Widget

A small gadget or mechanical device.

Cambridge English Dictionary;

WIDGET

any small device whose name you have forgotten or do not know

Janet

Christina Websell 30-11-2015 08:07 PM

AmericanEnglish again

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a "Widger."
Just a slightly curved piece of stainless steel sort of the size of a
largish pen; different widths on the 2 ends; used for pricking out
seedlings and transplanting small stuff.
The name sounds very British - is it?
Previously (and still for very small seedlings), I used a pocket sized
flatblade screwdriver.

See :- http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...english/widger

Phil

I have quite a few American friends and we disagree all the time about their
idea of English and mine. American English is very different from "English"
English.

[email protected] 30-11-2015 11:08 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On Sunday, 29 November 2015 18:27:47 UTC, Gary Woods wrote:
Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a "Widger." ......

Well I've been using my widger for years when pricking out seedlings. Makes the job a lot easier than using a screwdriver. I've also occasionally waggled my widger at the compost heap in the early morning (shielding shrubs mean the neighbours can't see). Waving a screwdriver over the compost heap doesn't have the same effect.

The OH says there's a real difference between a widger and a screwdriver.

David Rance[_3_] 01-12-2015 09:12 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:46:52 Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:21:40 philgurr wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

The word in question is "WIDGER", not "WIDGET".

David

Janet 01-12-2015 09:24 PM

AmericanEnglish again

In article ,
lid says...

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:46:52 Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:21:40 philgurr wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Yes; but the three definitions given are so similar, it appears that
widget and widger are closely connected.

Janet

Fran Farmer 03-12-2015 12:27 PM

AmericanEnglish again

"Gary Woods" wrote in message

Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a "Widger."
Just a slightly curved piece of stainless steel sort of the size of a
largish pen; different widths on the 2 ends; used for pricking out
seedlings and transplanting small stuff.
The name sounds very British - is it?
Previously (and still for very small seedlings), I used a pocket sized
flatblade screwdriver.

See :- http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...english/widger

That reference suggests that it is a nonsense word "used in a series of
memory tests". There is no etymology connected with it other than that
so it would appear that it is a word that someone made up when he/she
didn't know what to call it, and it stuck.

The word doesn't appear in my 1950s OED.

It appears in my OED:
widger: Also erron. 'wigger'. See quote 1956. A gardening tool
consiting of a small strip of metal, with a shallow furrow down the
centre, used as a miniature trowel to remove seedlings, cultivate pot
plants etc.

The instances of its occurrence follow with it's first appearance listed
as being in 1956.

Christina Websell 05-12-2015 08:44 PM

AmericanEnglish again

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 20:07:25 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a "Widger."
Just a slightly curved piece of stainless steel sort of the size of a
largish pen; different widths on the 2 ends; used for pricking out
seedlings and transplanting small stuff.
The name sounds very British - is it?
Previously (and still for very small seedlings), I used a pocket sized
flatblade screwdriver.

See :- http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...english/widger

Phil

I have quite a few American friends and we disagree all the time about
their
idea of English and mine. American English is very different from
"English"
English.

"Two nations divided by a common language"
(attribution uncertain, but probably not Churchill)

Americans think they speak English, I can assure them that they don't.

David Hill 05-12-2015 09:08 PM

AmericanEnglish again

wrote:

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
[...]

Glad that has been sorted out once and for all.

Christina Websell 05-12-2015 09:43 PM

AmericanEnglish again

wrote:

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
[...]

grin Americans used to speak English once: now it's American.

Fran Farmer 05-12-2015 10:12 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On 6/12/2015 8:43 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
On 05/12/2015 20:44, Christina Websell wrote:

Americans think they speak English, I can assure them that they don't.

Glad that has been sorted out once and for all.

grin Americans used to speak English once: now it's American.

I saw a very interesting TV show quite a few years ago on just this
topic. It suggested that the English now spoken by Americans is more
like the English spoken in the UK a few centuries ago than the sort of
English now spoken in the UK.

The show cited both words still used by Americans that have changed use
over time in the UK and the accent. One example I recall is the way
Americans still use the word "kettle" (ie, a cooking pot, not a spouted
water boiling thingamabob) which is the way it used to be used in the UK
centuries ago. Also the accent in the long "a" when American say "bath"
is the way it used to be said in the UK centuries ago.

Basically, the show said that it was the UK which had changed in the way
it used English whereas Americans had stayed more in line with the
speech and usage of the UK centuries ago.

alan_m 05-12-2015 10:38 PM

AmericanEnglish again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcHKm0cm-jI

Christina Websell 06-12-2015 12:32 AM

AmericanEnglish again

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

well, lets not tell an American how to speak English eh? they never will.

Fran Farmer 06-12-2015 12:05 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On 6/12/2015 8:25 PM, Martin wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

The way bath is pronounced in UK depends on where one comes from.

Do those places in the UK pronounce "bath" with a long "a" in an
American fashion or do you just mean that there are regional variations
of the way the word "bath" is said?

Tom Gardner[_2_] 06-12-2015 12:30 PM

AmericanEnglish again

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

In the NW at least it is pronounced with a short "a", whereas
in the south it is pronounced "barth" with a long "a".

I have no idea how it is pronounced in Glaswegian or Geordie.

Gary Woods 06-12-2015 02:33 PM

AmericanEnglish again

"Christina Websell" wrote:

Americans think they speak English,

I should probably remain silent and be just though a fool, but:

I never thought I spoke English, though I understand a lot of it passably.
Watching "Last of the Summer Wine" has taught me there are subsets of
English that might as well be Swahili!

Jeff Layman[_2_] 06-12-2015 02:51 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On 06/12/15 14:33, Gary Woods wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote:

Americans think they speak English,

I should probably remain silent and be just though a fool, but:

I never thought I spoke English, though I understand a lot of it passably.
Watching "Last of the Summer Wine" has taught me there are subsets of
English that might as well be Swahili!

It's not just accents, but local language usage. You won't find anyone
outside a church using "thee" in the south.

Many years ago I was on holiday in New England during the Fall. While I
was staying at a tiny hotel in Chester, Vermont, three Oklahomans
appeared for a couple of days. We met at breakfast next day, all
chatting away quite amicably. After breakfast, I confessed to the hotel
owner that I couldn't understand a word they were saying, as their
accents were so strong. He just grinned and said that he couldn't
understand them, either! I have no doubt they couldn't understand a
British accent. But we were all too polite to keep saying "Could you
repeat that, please?"

--

Jeff

Vir Campestris 06-12-2015 05:16 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On 05/12/2015 20:44, Christina Websell wrote:
Americans think they speak English, I can assure them that they don't.

"Do you speak English?"
"Yes, and I understand American"

Bob Heinlein, Glory Road. And he was a Yank...

Andy

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 06-12-2015 06:56 PM

AmericanEnglish again

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote:

Americans think they speak English,

I should probably remain silent and be just though a fool, but:

I never thought I spoke English, though I understand a lot of it passably.
Watching "Last of the Summer Wine" has taught me there are subsets of
English that might as well be Swahili!

Back in the 1960s, Wiltshire farm workers were unintelligible to
Londoners if they spoke as they did locally - a mere 80 miles way.
Most such variants have gone, killed by television, and even the
Cornish are now intelligible to Londoners. The major northern
dialects are pretty well the sole remaining ones.

And then there are things like Hinglish and Strine ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

David Hill 06-12-2015 07:20 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On 06/12/2015 17:16, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 05/12/2015 20:44, Christina Websell wrote:
Americans think they speak English, I can assure them that they don't.

"Do you speak English?"
"Yes, and I understand American"

Bob Heinlein, Glory Road. And he was a Yank...

I remember going on a AAA course at Motspur park in the mid 50's. The
course was headed by Jeff Dyson who was the national head coach.
As he was lecturing he would often come out with "and I say unto thee".
On that course was a lad from Cornwall, it wasn't till the 3rd day I
realised he was talking English,between his accent and his dialect.
Also when I was market gardening outside Hastings in the early 60's we
had a driver come down form Fort William to pick up some stuff we were
selling. My Boss was Irish but had been a fighter pilot in the war,
Margaret was Sussex born and bred and owing to my Father being a Captain
in the RFA I had been to many parts of the UK when he was home and we
were on board ship with him.
I found myself acting as an interpretor between My Boss and the driver.
So much for a common language in the UK.

S Viemeister[_2_] 06-12-2015 08:29 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On 12/6/2015 2:20 PM, David Hill wrote:
I remember going on a AAA course at Motspur park in the mid 50's. The
course was headed by Jeff Dyson who was the national head coach.
As he was lecturing he would often come out with "and I say unto thee".
On that course was a lad from Cornwall, it wasn't till the 3rd day I
realised he was talking English,between his accent and his dialect.
Also when I was market gardening outside Hastings in the early 60's we
had a driver come down form Fort William to pick up some stuff we were
selling. My Boss was Irish but had been a fighter pilot in the war,
Margaret was Sussex born and bred and owing to my Father being a Captain
in the RFA I had been to many parts of the UK when he was home and we
were on board ship with him.
I found myself acting as an interpretor between My Boss and the driver.
So much for a common language in the UK.

Years ago, I was offered a job in the personnel department of the
Scottish branch of a Texas company, because I could translate between
Texas English and Braid Scots.

[email protected] 06-12-2015 08:39 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 19:20:55 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

Margaret was Sussex born and bred and owing to my Father being a Captain
in the RFA I had been to many parts of the UK when he was home and we
were on board ship with him.
I found myself acting as an interpretor between My Boss and the driver.
So much for a common language in the UK.

I had to do that between two Scotsman about 15 years ago which seemed
a strange thing for an Englisman to be doing.
One was young,Engineer from the PS Waverley as it happened and spoke
with a Strong Glasgow accent but I was quite used to talking with him
while the other had come from Galloway but had lived in Bristol since
the 50's although he was often away as he was in the Merchant Navy.
That working in engine rooms which caused hearing damage resulting in
having to use a hearing aid didn't help.

G.Harman

Fran Farmer 06-12-2015 10:34 PM

AmericanEnglish again

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

When I used the term "long 'a'" I was trying to convey how I've heard
Americans say 'bath' which is less like 'barth' but more like the 'a' in
'bat'. I'm sure there is some symbol that applies and which would tell
more knowledgeable peeps instantly how I menat it to sound, but every
time I've tried to figure out what my dictionary means by it's symbols,
I've lost the will to live.

I have no idea how it is pronounced in Glaswegian or Geordie.

:-)) Regional dialects are very interesting IMO

Fran Farmer 06-12-2015 10:36 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On 7/12/2015 5:56 AM, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote:

Americans think they speak English,

I should probably remain silent and be just though a fool, but:

I never thought I spoke English, though I understand a lot of it passably.
Watching "Last of the Summer Wine" has taught me there are subsets of
English that might as well be Swahili!

Back in the 1960s, Wiltshire farm workers were unintelligible to
Londoners if they spoke as they did locally - a mere 80 miles way.
Most such variants have gone, killed by television, and even the
Cornish are now intelligible to Londoners. The major northern
dialects are pretty well the sole remaining ones.

And then there are things like Hinglish and Strine ....

You forgot the Yarpies and the Kiwis.

Tom Gardner[_2_] 06-12-2015 11:37 PM

AmericanEnglish again

On 06/12/15 22:34, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 6/12/2015 11:30 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 06/12/15 12:05, Fran Farmer wrote:
Do those places in the UK pronounce "bath" with a long "a" in an American
fashion or do you just mean that there are regional variations of the
way the
word "bath" is said?

In the NW at least it is pronounced with a short "a", whereas
in the south it is pronounced "barth" with a long "a".

When I used the term "long 'a'" I was trying to convey how I've heard Americans
say 'bath' which is less like 'barth' but more like the 'a' in 'bat'.

Ah, that's the opposite way round! The NW variant sounds like
"ba-th" (as in "bat"), OTOH the Bath natives pronounce
their town "bar-th", and southerners use that for everything
to do with washing. Except when they don't, e.g. bathe
is pronounced "bay-th".

I'm sure
there is some symbol that applies and which would tell more knowledgeable peeps
instantly how I menat it to sound, but every time I've tried to figure out what
my dictionary means by it's symbols, I've lost the will to live.

Just so, although I'm sure there's a website somewhere which
converts, say, bæθ fənɛtɪks into the sounds for "bath phonetics".

I have no idea how it is pronounced in Glaswegian or Geordie.

:-)) Regional dialects are very interesting IMO

"Interesting" in the Chinese sense :)

Then you get into the downright perverse, e.g. those at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...o nunciations
which has both UK and US pitfalls.

Christina Websell 07-12-2015 12:05 AM

AmericanEnglish again

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

English is constantly evolving and it evolves from the UK. Because we are
English and it's our language. Americans speak American. Do you have a
faucet in your house, does your car have a hood or fender? I rest my case.

Christina Websell 07-12-2015 12:17 AM

AmericanEnglish again

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

Americans think they speak English,

I should probably remain silent and be just though a fool, but:

I never thought I spoke English, though I understand a lot of it passably.
Watching "Last of the Summer Wine" has taught me there are subsets of
English that might as well be Swahili!

g Fine for me. I don't thing there are many regional Uk accents that I
can't understand. Extreme Glaswegian is difficult though.

Christina Websell 07-12-2015 12:32 AM

AmericanEnglish again

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

I so disagree with this. I can understand every accent and dialect in the
Uk, and I'm surprised by this post. As I said upthread my only difficulty
is with *extreme* Glaswegian. I simply cannot understand it - it sounds
like "a hoot, a hoot, a hoot.."

Gary Woods 07-12-2015 12:43 AM

AmericanEnglish again

"Christina Websell" wrote:

English is constantly evolving and it evolves from the UK

Wrong tense, methinks: "evolved?" The various versions that left the UK
at various times have taken their own course like Darwin's birds.

[email protected] 07-12-2015 12:53 AM

AmericanEnglish again

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 00:05:05 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

English is constantly evolving and it evolves from the UK. Because we are
English and it's our language. Americans speak American. Do you have a
faucet in your house, does your car have a hood or fender? I rest my case.

Ford Anglias had a knob on the dashboard quite clearly marked Hood.
This is a photo of one.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTU1WDEyODA=/z/mjgAAOSw3ydVlYjK/$_1.JPG
Quite a few people had one at one time.

G Harman

Timothy Murphy 07-12-2015 01:48 AM

AmericanEnglish again

Christina Websell wrote:

I have quite a few American friends and we disagree all the time about
their
idea of English and mine. American English is very different from
"English" English.

Sorry, that is complete nonsense.
Ask someone if a book they are reading was published in the UK or US,
and I'll guarantee they will have no idea 90% of the time.
The language spoken in the two countries is essentially identical.
I don't know why people make up this pretence
that there is a great difference between them.
Even the accents are converging,
as are accents within the UK.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Christina Websell 07-12-2015 03:30 AM

AmericanEnglish again

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I have quite a few American friends and we disagree all the time about
their
idea of English and mine. American English is very different from
"English" English.

Sorry, that is complete nonsense.
Ask someone if a book they are reading was published in the UK or US,
and I'll guarantee they will have no idea 90% of the time.
The language spoken in the two countries is essentially identical.
I don't know why people make up this pretence
that there is a great difference between them.
Even the accents are converging,
as are accents within the UK.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Disagree. The Harry Potter books were pages shorter when they took out the
"u"s in colour, behaviour, etc. for Americans.
I'm not saying that Americans don't speak English (as such) it's just that
it's their version. It's American. I'm not trying to horrible about it.

Christina Websell 07-12-2015 03:35 AM

AmericanEnglish again

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

English is constantly evolving and it evolves from the UK

Wrong tense, methinks: "evolved?" The various versions that left the UK
at various times have taken their own course like Darwin's birds.

No wrong tense, English evolves, we are constantly updating our dictionary

Fran Farmer 07-12-2015 05:51 AM

AmericanEnglish again

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

"OUR"????

Americans speak American. Do you have a
faucet in your house, does your car have a hood or fender? I rest my case.

I'd say, first put forward a case.

Fran Farmer 07-12-2015 05:56 AM

AmericanEnglish again

On 7/12/2015 12:48 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

I have quite a few American friends and we disagree all the time about
their
idea of English and mine. American English is very different from
"English" English.

Sorry, that is complete nonsense.

I think so too.

Ask someone if a book they are reading was published in the UK or US,
and I'll guarantee they will have no idea 90% of the time.
The language spoken in the two countries is essentially identical.
I don't know why people make up this pretence
that there is a great difference between them.
Even the accents are converging,

Indeed they are. I know there are a lot of British, Australian and Kiwi
actors on US TV and play spot the actor and then try to find a hint in
the accent of their home country. It's almost impossible these days.

as are accents within the UK.

News[_3_] 07-12-2015 08:57 AM

AmericanEnglish again

In message , Christina Websell
writes

I so disagree with this. I can understand every accent and dialect in the
Uk, and I'm surprised by this post.

We moved from Hertfordshire to rural Aberdeenshire 14 years ago, and it
took me a while to understand the accents, particularly pure Aberdeen
and, locally, Doric. There came a point, though, when, after speaking
to someone, I wasn't aware of their accent - I did not notice whether I
had been speaking to an Englishman or a Scot.

--
Graeme