GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Serious woodlice damage on celeriac (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212294-serious-woodlice-damage-celeriac.html)

[email protected] 30-11-2015 02:27 PM

Serious woodlice damage on celeriac

I have tried a couple of times to grow celeriac on my allotment,but each time the roots are almost unusable due to woodlice boring into the roots from below.
I thought that it was slug damage but I deal with slugs using slugbait which leaves the area around like 'killing fields' for slugs-so they work.
My allotment is on sandy soil,so I do use a lot of compost in the soil when I plant the celeriac to stop them drying out.The roots do grow to a pretty good size,but I would like to know how to stop the woodlice attacking them.
Michael

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 30-11-2015 05:27 PM

Serious woodlice damage on celeriac

In article ,
wrote:

I have tried a couple of times to grow celeriac on my allotment,but each
time the roots are almost unusable due to woodlice boring into the roots
from below.

It's vanishingly unlikely to be woodlice. They are often found in
holes made by other pests, so get blamed, but their mouthparts are
not capable of gnawing holes in celeriac.

I thought that it was slug damage but I deal with slugs using slugbait
which leaves the area around like 'killing fields' for slugs-so they
work.

Against surface slugs. There are also subterranean ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob Hobden 30-11-2015 05:36 PM

Serious woodlice damage on celeriac

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
wrote:

I have tried a couple of times to grow celeriac on my allotment,but each
time the roots are almost unusable due to woodlice boring into the roots
from below.

It's vanishingly unlikely to be woodlice. They are often found in
holes made by other pests, so get blamed, but their mouthparts are
not capable of gnawing holes in celeriac.

I thought that it was slug damage but I deal with slugs using slugbait
which leaves the area around like 'killing fields' for slugs-so they
work.

Against surface slugs. There are also subterranean ones.

I would agree with Nick, it's more likely that ground slugs, the sort the
ruin potatoes, are responsible and the woodlice are feeding on the damage.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Tom Gardner[_2_] 03-12-2015 12:30 AM

On 30/11/15 14:27, wrote:
I have tried a couple of times to grow celeriac on my allotment,but each time the roots are almost unusable due to woodlice boring into the roots from below.
I thought that it was slug damage but I deal with slugs using slugbait which leaves the area around like 'killing fields' for slugs-so they work.
My allotment is on sandy soil,so I do use a lot of compost in the soil when I plant the celeriac to stop them drying out.The roots do grow to a pretty good size,but I would like to know how to stop the woodlice attacking them.
Michael

Slugs and woodlice found in mine :(