Old 30-11-2015, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Serious woodlice damage on celeriac

I have tried a couple of times to grow celeriac on my allotment,but each time the roots are almost unusable due to woodlice boring into the roots from below.
I thought that it was slug damage but I deal with slugs using slugbait which leaves the area around like 'killing fields' for slugs-so they work.
My allotment is on sandy soil,so I do use a lot of compost in the soil when I plant the celeriac to stop them drying out.The roots do grow to a pretty good size,but I would like to know how to stop the woodlice attacking them.
Michael
Old 30-11-2015, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
wrote:

I have tried a couple of times to grow celeriac on my allotment,but each
time the roots are almost unusable due to woodlice boring into the roots
from below.

It's vanishingly unlikely to be woodlice. They are often found in
holes made by other pests, so get blamed, but their mouthparts are
not capable of gnawing holes in celeriac.

I thought that it was slug damage but I deal with slugs using slugbait
which leaves the area around like 'killing fields' for slugs-so they
work.

Against surface slugs. There are also subterranean ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-11-2015, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
wrote:

I have tried a couple of times to grow celeriac on my allotment,but each
time the roots are almost unusable due to woodlice boring into the roots
from below.

It's vanishingly unlikely to be woodlice. They are often found in
holes made by other pests, so get blamed, but their mouthparts are
not capable of gnawing holes in celeriac.

I thought that it was slug damage but I deal with slugs using slugbait
which leaves the area around like 'killing fields' for slugs-so they
work.

Against surface slugs. There are also subterranean ones.

I would agree with Nick, it's more likely that ground slugs, the sort the
ruin potatoes, are responsible and the woodlice are feeding on the damage.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Serious woodlice damage on celeriac [email protected] United Kingdom 3 01-12-2015 11:07 AM
Serious Tools for Serious Gardeners Marty Weil Gardening 3 12-09-2014 07:46 PM
Water Damage Clean up & Fire Damage Restoration ssammyy roy Gardening 0 19-05-2012 08:15 AM
Woodlice Adam Powell United Kingdom 2 01-07-2003 01:35 PM
Composters and Woodlice JP United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 06:08 PM