Old 18-05-2016, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strangest thing you have done in the garden?

On 18/05/2016 03:14, Je�us wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2016 11:46:42 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

When I was a child we had a bitch who always peed on the lawn. Her
urine was very strong and it burnt the grass, leaving brown circular
patches of dead grass up to 12 inches in diameter. But when the grass
eventually re-grew, it was much more vigorous than the surrounding
stuff, and we had bright green tufts everywhere.

That reminds me of a practice I've seen done locally - rather than use
herbicide to kill off grass/weeds in a paddock, overdose the paddock
with NPK fertiliser which will kill off just about anything growing.
In a few months time, re-sow the paddock with new seed and away it
goes better than ever.

Which unfortunately causes even worse problems than herbicides as all
the excess nitrates end up in the ground water

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 18-05-2016, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 May 2016 08:53:12 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

On 18/05/2016 03:14, Je?us wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2016 11:46:42 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

When I was a child we had a bitch who always peed on the lawn. Her
urine was very strong and it burnt the grass, leaving brown circular
patches of dead grass up to 12 inches in diameter. But when the grass
eventually re-grew, it was much more vigorous than the surrounding
stuff, and we had bright green tufts everywhere.

That reminds me of a practice I've seen done locally - rather than use
herbicide to kill off grass/weeds in a paddock, overdose the paddock
with NPK fertiliser which will kill off just about anything growing.
In a few months time, re-sow the paddock with new seed and away it
goes better than ever.

Which unfortunately causes even worse problems than herbicides as all
the excess nitrates end up in the ground water

I'm not sure which one is really worse, I think other factors might
come into play such as location, climate and geology.