GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sasa Must Go!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/21276-sasa-must-go.html)

Bob 08-05-2003 11:44 AM

Sasa Must Go!!!

Apologies to Sacha if the message line caused you to double-take!

Having seen the distance from the original plants that new shoots have
appeared, I have decided that my two Sasa palmata bamboos must go.
Not just for my benefit, because I'm sure the neighbour's wouldn't
appreciate bamboo sprouting up in their lawn next year either!

I did think of sticking it in a buried pot, but I'm sure it will
escape anyway.

So, bamboo experts, does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?
It would need to be low growing (3ft max - I already have some taller
bamboos) and clump forming, rather than the vigorous rampaging thugs I
have now!

Bob

Anthony E Anson 08-05-2003 10:08 PM

Sasa Must Go!!!

The message
from (Bob) contains these words:

So, bamboo experts, does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?
It would need to be low growing (3ft max - I already have some taller
bamboos) and clump forming, rather than the vigorous rampaging thugs I
have now!

No, but find a gamekeeper to bequeath your thugs to.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi

Rodger Whitlock 09-05-2003 01:08 AM

Sasa Must Go!!!

On 8 May 2003 03:38:58 -0700, Bob wrote:

Apologies to Sacha if the message line caused you to double-take!

Having seen the distance from the original plants that new shoots have
appeared, I have decided that my two Sasa palmata bamboos must go.
Not just for my benefit, because I'm sure the neighbour's wouldn't
appreciate bamboo sprouting up in their lawn next year either!

I did think of sticking it in a buried pot, but I'm sure it will
escape anyway.

So, bamboo experts, does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?
It would need to be low growing (3ft max - I already have some taller
bamboos) and clump forming, rather than the vigorous rampaging thugs I
have now!

Consider one of the smaller nandinas to get something of the same
effect.

Among the true bamboos, Shibatea kumusasa might be a good choice.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Sacha 09-05-2003 07:08 PM

Sasa Must Go!!!

in article , Bob at
wrote on 8/5/03 11:38 am:

Apologies to Sacha if the message line caused you to double-take!

I have a crick in my neck from the double take! ;-)
snip

--

Sacha

Bob 12-05-2003 09:56 AM

Sasa Must Go!!!

(Rodger Whitlock) wrote in message ...
On 8 May 2003 03:38:58 -0700, Bob wrote:

So, bamboo experts, does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?
It would need to be low growing (3ft max - I already have some taller
bamboos) and clump forming, rather than the vigorous rampaging thugs I
have now!

Consider one of the smaller nandinas to get something of the same
effect.

Among the true bamboos, Shibatea kumusasa might be a good choice.

Nandina's featured in my original plan, but the nursery didn't have
any - I bought the Sasa instead. I pulled a 6ft runner out from under
the neighbours fence yesterday - it really has to go!

Thanks for the suggestion of the Shibatea - I'm off googling to see if
I can find a picture... :-)

Bob