Old 08-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Bob

Default Sasa Must Go!!!

Apologies to Sacha if the message line caused you to double-take!

Having seen the distance from the original plants that new shoots have
appeared, I have decided that my two Sasa palmata bamboos must go.
Not just for my benefit, because I'm sure the neighbour's wouldn't
appreciate bamboo sprouting up in their lawn next year either!

I did think of sticking it in a buried pot, but I'm sure it will
escape anyway.

So, bamboo experts, does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?
It would need to be low growing (3ft max - I already have some taller
bamboos) and clump forming, rather than the vigorous rampaging thugs I
have now!

Bob
Old 09-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On 8 May 2003 03:38:58 -0700, Bob wrote:

Apologies to Sacha if the message line caused you to double-take!

Having seen the distance from the original plants that new shoots have
appeared, I have decided that my two Sasa palmata bamboos must go.
Not just for my benefit, because I'm sure the neighbour's wouldn't
appreciate bamboo sprouting up in their lawn next year either!

I did think of sticking it in a buried pot, but I'm sure it will
escape anyway.

So, bamboo experts, does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?
It would need to be low growing (3ft max - I already have some taller
bamboos) and clump forming, rather than the vigorous rampaging thugs I
have now!

Consider one of the smaller nandinas to get something of the same
effect.

Among the true bamboos, Shibatea kumusasa might be a good choice.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 12-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Bob

(Rodger Whitlock) wrote in message ...
On 8 May 2003 03:38:58 -0700, Bob wrote:

So, bamboo experts, does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?
It would need to be low growing (3ft max - I already have some taller
bamboos) and clump forming, rather than the vigorous rampaging thugs I
have now!

Consider one of the smaller nandinas to get something of the same
effect.

Among the true bamboos, Shibatea kumusasa might be a good choice.

Nandina's featured in my original plan, but the nursery didn't have
any - I bought the Sasa instead. I pulled a 6ft runner out from under
the neighbours fence yesterday - it really has to go!

Thanks for the suggestion of the Shibatea - I'm off googling to see if
I can find a picture... :-)

Bob