GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blasted mice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215137-blasted-mice.html)

Broadback[_3_] 26-12-2017 09:54 AM

Blasted mice

They have "found" my shed and decided my petrol vacuum/blower is fair
game. Having eaten a hole on the vacuum bag chewed a strap they have
now eaten the plastic small petrol pump, rendering it useless until I
get another. What will the beasts not climb, so that I can protect it in
future?

Chris Green 26-12-2017 10:30 AM

Blasted mice

Broadback wrote:
They have "found" my shed and decided my petrol vacuum/blower is fair
game. Having eaten a hole on the vacuum bag chewed a strap they have
now eaten the plastic small petrol pump, rendering it useless until I
get another. What will the beasts not climb, so that I can protect it in
future?

Shiny/smooth plastic usually works OK in my experience. E.g. mice
won't get into plastic dustbins as long as they're reasonably smooth
and there's nothing leaning against them to 'bridge' the smoothness.

This from keeping horse feed and such (*very* attractive to mice and
rats) over several years. The thick plastic and/or paper bags that the
feed comes in aren't in general rat/mouse proof, plastic better than
paper but get eaten through in the end.

--
Chris Green
ยท

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 30-12-2017 06:44 PM

Blasted mice

In article ,
says...

Broadback wrote:
They have "found" my shed and decided my petrol vacuum/blower is fair
game. Having eaten a hole on the vacuum bag chewed a strap they have
now eaten the plastic small petrol pump, rendering it useless until I
get another. What will the beasts not climb, so that I can protect it in
future?

Shiny/smooth plastic usually works OK in my experience. E.g. mice
won't get into plastic dustbins as long as they're reasonably smooth
and there's nothing leaning against them to 'bridge' the smoothness.

This from keeping horse feed and such (*very* attractive to mice and
rats) over several years. The thick plastic and/or paper bags that the
feed comes in aren't in general rat/mouse proof, plastic better than
paper but get eaten through in the end.

Friend of ours house got flooded/wrecked when mice chewed
through plastic water pipes in the loft!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Gary Woods[_2_] 30-12-2017 06:57 PM

Blasted mice

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 18:44:13 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

Friend of ours house got flooded/wrecked when mice chewed
through plastic water pipes in the loft!

We once had a large (7-meter) satellite dish disabled by squirrels
chewing on the cables to the microwave antenna at the center. Accused
the vendor of using acorn-flavored coaxial cables. The fellow who
drew the short straw to evict them said they were NOT happy.

---
http://www.avg.com