GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Black Oxford apple: where to find it? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215153-black-oxford-apple-where-find.html)

hereistay 05-01-2018 08:04 PM

Black Oxford apple: where to find it?

Hi there!
I'm from Italy and I found on internet that there a Black apple called Oxford Black.
It should be a British apple cultivar.
I'm searching for bare root grafted plants or scion-woods.
Please can you help me?
Thank you very much!

Andy Burns[_7_] 05-01-2018 08:45 PM

hereistay wrote:

I found on internet that there a Black apple called Oxford Black.

I'd never heard of it, but two sources I found say it originates from
Maine in the USA.

https://www.orangepippin.com/apples/black-oxford

Bob Hobden[_7_] 05-01-2018 10:09 PM

On 5 Jan 2018 20:04, hereistay wrote:

Hi there!
I'm from Italy and I found on internet that there a Black apple called
Oxford Black.
It should be a British apple cultivar.
I'm searching for bare root grafted plants or scion-woods.
Please can you help me?
Thank you very much!

It's an American apple from Oxford County, Maine, USA. Hence the name.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

hereistay 06-01-2018 11:50 AM

You're right, it is from Oxford, Maine, sorry for the mistake!
Do you think it is possible to find in Europe?
Is there something similar?

Jeff Layman[_2_] 06-01-2018 12:52 PM

On 06/01/18 11:50, hereistay wrote:
You're right, it is from Oxford, Maine, sorry for the mistake!
Do you think it is possible to find in Europe?
Is there something similar?

You could try emailing Brogdale ).

Brogdale holds the UK's National Fruit Collection, and has over 2200
varieties of apple. They might know of a source for Black Oxford, or of
a similar apple.

--

Jeff

hereistay 08-01-2018 10:46 AM