GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can anyone ID these 2 plants, please? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215691-can-anyone-id-these-2-plants-please.html)

[email protected] 05-09-2018 05:34 PM

Can anyone ID these 2 plants, please?

I picked these two up at a car boot sale last week. Can anyone identify them please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSgcnYZCWJJeoSC19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQiLfUxXGye1hkR6

Many thanks in advance!

Al

David Hill 05-09-2018 05:48 PM

On 05/09/2018 17:34, wrote:
I picked these two up at a car boot sale last week. Can anyone identify them please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSgcnYZCWJJeoSC19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQiLfUxXGye1hkR6

Many thanks in advance!

Al

I think the first is a form of Whipcord Hebe
The second looks like Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'

[email protected] 05-09-2018 06:21 PM

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 5:48:23 PM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:

I think the first is a form of Whipcord Hebe
The second looks like Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'

Hi Dave,
Having Googled the two plants you suggested, I am fairly convinced you are correct - especially re the Ajuga reptans. That's very helpful; thank you so much! The lady who sold me the plants thought the other one was an artemesia of some kind, but I wasn't convinced.

~Al

Janet 05-09-2018 10:41 PM

Can anyone ID these 2 plants, please?

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 05/09/2018 17:34, wrote:
I picked these two up at a car boot sale last week. Can anyone identify them please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSgcnYZCWJJeoSC19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQiLfUxXGye1hkR6

Many thanks in advance!

Al

I think the first is a form of Whipcord Hebe
The second looks like Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'

I agree ajuga, but the first is santolina

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Search...uery=Santolina

Janet

David Hill 06-09-2018 10:18 AM

Can anyone ID these 2 plants, please?

On 05/09/2018 23:19, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 22:41:49 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 05/09/2018 17:34, wrote:
I picked these two up at a car boot sale last week. Can anyone identify them please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSgcnYZCWJJeoSC19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQiLfUxXGye1hkR6

Many thanks in advance!

Al

I think the first is a form of Whipcord Hebe
The second looks like Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'

I agree ajuga, but the first is santolina

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Search...uery=Santolina

Janet

Yes to the ajuga, and if the first is santolina, which it certainly
looks like, it will have aromatic foliage.

Sorry, but the foliage on Santolina is more feathery and as has been
said is aromatic, used to be called cotton lavender.
Hebe is much more ridgid and the laves are almost scale like.

David Hill 06-09-2018 10:23 AM

On 05/09/2018 17:34, wrote:
I picked these two up at a car boot sale last week. Can anyone
identify them please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSgcnYZCWJJeoSC19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQiLfUxXGye1hkR6

Many thanks in advance!

Al

I think the first is a form of Whipcord Hebe
The second looks like Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'

Â* I agree ajuga, but the first is santolina

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Search...uery=Santolina

Janet

Yes to the ajuga, and if the first is santolina, which it certainly
looks like, it will have aromatic foliage.

Sorry, but the foliage on Santolina is more feathery and as has been
said is aromatic, used to be called cotton lavender.
Hebe is much more ridgid and the laves are almost scale like.

Just had another look at the first pic. and I was wrong, I'll go with
Santolina chamaecyparissus

FMurtz 07-09-2018 09:47 AM

On 05/09/2018 17:34, wrote:
[...]

both seem singularly boring.

[email protected] 07-09-2018 10:58 AM

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 9:47:27 AM UTC+1, FMurtz wrote:

both seem singularly boring.

Thanks for sharing (not).

To everyone else: Many thanks; you've convinced me, re the cotton lavender!

Al