Old 13-09-2018, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flower Identification please

Picture taken off the TV, but originally in a biome at the Eden
Project, judging by the background. What are they? Poppies? Paeonies?
Tulips? Whatever they are, I want some, although if inside a biome
they could be tropical and tender. https://ibb.co/eMaQ4p

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, looking E, Sheltered and partially shaded by trees to the W and SW

Old 13-09-2018, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 07:57:42 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 13/09/18 07:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
Picture taken off the TV, but originally in a biome at the Eden
Project, judging by the background. What are they? Poppies? Paeonies?
Tulips? Whatever they are, I want some, although if inside a biome
they could be tropical and tender. https://ibb.co/eMaQ4p

Ranunculus?

Thanks Jeff. Yes, I think you're right. Never seen them before.
Now where are those catalogues?!

Old 13-09-2018, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

What are they? Poppies?

I'd say so, from the flowers themselves and especially that bare
seed-head near the right hand side.

Previous owner of my house must have fed the birds some interesting
seeds, judging by the monster poppies I got for a few years after moving
here.

Old 13-09-2018, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

What are they? Poppies?

I'd say so, from the flowers themselves and especially that bare
seed-head near the right hand side.

That's a bud. I agree that it looks like a poppy seed-head. The leaves
are wrong for poppies.

Previous owner of my house must have fed the birds some interesting
seeds, judging by the monster poppies I got for a few years after moving
here.

Opium poppies are a common annual and casual in the UK, but we don't
get enough sun to produce interesting quantities of opium. They are
normally pale mauve, though there are plenty of varieties in other
colours. They have relatively uncut, pale grey-green leaves. Welsh
(and most other poppies) have leaves more like Ranunculus, but a
different shape and cut.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-09-2018, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 08:42:27 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

What are they? Poppies?

I'd say so, from the flowers themselves and especially that bare
seed-head near the right hand side.

Previous owner of my house must have fed the birds some interesting
seeds, judging by the monster poppies I got for a few years after moving
here.

Thanks. Possibly poppies, although the foliage looks... er...
ranunculine (?) and they do have spherical seed heads. I have some
large red poppies, both papaver bracteatum* and p. somniferum (red
with a black cross in the centre), still only in seed form from the
bungalow recently vacated and not yet sown, but I'm going to get some
ranunculus anyway!
https://tinyurl.com/ybd3a87n

Old 14-09-2018, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/09/2018 07:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 13/09/18 07:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
Picture taken off the TV, but originally in a biome at the Eden
Project, judging by the background. What are they? Poppies? Paeonies?
Tulips? Whatever they are, I want some, although if inside a biome
they could be tropical and tender. https://ibb.co/eMaQ4p

Ranunculus?

Ranuculus asiaticus, aka Persian buttercup.

--
SRH