Old 14-06-2019, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default greenhouse glazing

Hello,

I have a standard 6x8 greenhouse that I bought from B&Q ten years ago.
I think it might be AGL brand. I moved house and bought it with me but
didn't get around to building it straight away.

The glass has been stored outside in the rain and sunlight, so it has
gone a bit green. What's the best way to clean it before fitting it?
Looking at "mould and mildew" sprays they seem just to be bleach in a
spray bottle. I was wondering about using that with a non-stick
scourer.

When glazing, do you suggest to do the roof first? I'm pretty sure
I've always done the sides and worked my way up but I just read a web
site that said do the roof first to check the greenhouse is square.

I bought new seals and clips. Previously I had the standard galvanised
W clips and one or two had gone rusty. So this time I bought stainless
steel clips from ebay, hoping these would last forever. I've tried
fitting a couple of panes but they are not held securely. Are the
stainless clips for thicker glass or something; do I need to go back
to the galvanised ones? Or will the greenhouse become more rigid as I
add more panes and will that solve the problem?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Old 14-06-2019, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/06/2019 20:22, Stephen wrote:
[...]

Assuming an aluminum greenhouse are you using both types of clip?

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-ga...lips/p/0099364

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-25...lips/p/0099365

The first one holds the glass to the frame and the second is used where
the glass overlaps to stop it sliding down.

The first type can be difficult to get in correctly without hurting your
fingers.

Youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McNkhzYRRr8

Old 14-06-2019, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 20:22:16 +0100, Stephen
wrote:

[...]

Assuming it's just simply algae, wet it first to soften it up if it's
dried, then a wipe with a damp cloth will shift it. Use a pot scourer
on stubborn bits.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, looking E, Sheltered and partially shaded by trees to the W and SW
Old 14-06-2019, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/06/19 20:22, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I have a standard 6x8 greenhouse that I bought from B&Q ten years ago.
I think it might be AGL brand. I moved house and bought it with me but
didn't get around to building it straight away.

The glass has been stored outside in the rain and sunlight, so it has
gone a bit green. What's the best way to clean it before fitting it?
Looking at "mould and mildew" sprays they seem just to be bleach in a
spray bottle. I was wondering about using that with a non-stick
scourer.

Yes, just about all mould and mildew sprays are bleach. Buy a bottle of
the cheapest bleach you can (a supermarket's own brand "basic" bleach
will be fine) and use that with a sponge/scouring pad. It doesn't have
to be non-stick.

If the glass had been stored outside, beware. It might be very brittle.
The fact that your new stainless steel clips don't hold it tightly might
be a blessing in disguise. If they were really tight the pressure on any
brittle glass might crack it.

When glazing, do you suggest to do the roof first? I'm pretty sure
I've always done the sides and worked my way up but I just read a web
site that said do the roof first to check the greenhouse is square.

I don't know if it makes any difference. The greenhouse should be
erected on a rectangular base. Check that the diagonals are the same and
it will be square. I would be more concerned about safety if the roof
glass is done first and isn't in securely. Fitting the side glazing is
done from the outside anyway.

I bought new seals and clips. Previously I had the standard galvanised
W clips and one or two had gone rusty. So this time I bought stainless
steel clips from ebay, hoping these would last forever. I've tried
fitting a couple of panes but they are not held securely. Are the
stainless clips for thicker glass or something; do I need to go back
to the galvanised ones? Or will the greenhouse become more rigid as I
add more panes and will that solve the problem?

Greenhouse glass is 3 or 4 mm thick. Can you bend the W clips to make
them grip the glass more tightly? It should make no difference to how
the clips grip the pane from the first pane to the last. Are you sure
the rubber seals that the glass fits on hasn't been squashed flat or
perhaps has perished and is no longer elastic?

--

Jeff
Old 14-06-2019, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/06/2019 20:47, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

If you are working single handed then do the roof first, that way if you
need to lift the glass to fit into the top then you don't have to walk
round to the door all the time.

Old 18-06-2019, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 20:41:03 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

Assuming an aluminum greenhouse are you using both types of clip?

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-ga...lips/p/0099364

Yes, I have both types of clip but even before I got as far as using
the Z-clips I found I had a problem. I cannot get the W-clips to hold
the bottom panes of glass in place.
Old 18-06-2019, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 20:47:01 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Yes, just about all mould and mildew sprays are bleach. Buy a bottle of
the cheapest bleach you can (a supermarket's own brand "basic" bleach
will be fine) and use that with a sponge/scouring pad. It doesn't have
to be non-stick.

Thank you, you've reassured me that I was doing the right thing!

If the glass had been stored outside, beware. It might be very brittle.
The fact that your new stainless steel clips don't hold it tightly might
be a blessing in disguise. If they were really tight the pressure on any
brittle glass might crack it.

I never knew that. Why does it go brittle? But isn't all glass
outside? Why don't greenhouses or house or car windows become brittle
in use?

I don't know if it makes any difference. The greenhouse should be
erected on a rectangular base. Check that the diagonals are the same and
it will be square. I would be more concerned about safety if the roof
glass is done first and isn't in securely. Fitting the side glazing is
done from the outside anyway.

It is on a base, I will go and measure the diagonals.

Greenhouse glass is 3 or 4 mm thick. Can you bend the W clips to make
them grip the glass more tightly? It should make no difference to how
the clips grip the pane from the first pane to the last. Are you sure
the rubber seals that the glass fits on hasn't been squashed flat or
perhaps has perished and is no longer elastic?

I bought new seal as well, so I'm sure the seal is not the problem. I
will try bending the clips. AM I supposed to bend the two legs to make
it springier or am I supposed to bend the middle bit to make it hold
the glass more closely?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Old 18-06-2019, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I have uses hundreds of these over the years and neve had a problem,
Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McNkhzYRRr8
Old 18-06-2019, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/06/19 12:41, Stephen wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 20:47:01 +0100, Jeff Layman

If the glass had been stored outside, beware. It might be very brittle.
The fact that your new stainless steel clips don't hold it tightly might
be a blessing in disguise. If they were really tight the pressure on any
brittle glass might crack it.

I never knew that. Why does it go brittle? But isn't all glass
outside? Why don't greenhouses or house or car windows become brittle
in use?

My understanding is that it is due to old glass having many micro-cracks
and scratches which weaken it and assist in crack propagation throughout
the glass once it starts. Modern glass (and more expensive glass than
the "agricultural" grade glass often used for greenhouses) has a surface
treatment to inhibit the production of these microcracks and scratches
over time. So toughened or tempered glass is much less likely to become
brittle.

[...]

I doubt it will make any difference in practice, but it is easier to
make one bend (in the middle) than two identical bends with each of the
legs.

--

Jeff
Old 18-06-2019, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/06/2019 12:41, Stephen wrote:

I bought new seal as well, so I'm sure the seal is not the problem. I
will try bending the clips. AM I supposed to bend the two legs to make
it springier or am I supposed to bend the middle bit to make it hold
the glass more closely?

You shouldn't need to bend it out of shape at all prior to fitting. If
fitting them correctly the spring is often very tight and difficult to
clip in using your finger alone - your finger may get very sore after
fitting 50 clips.

In some installations part of the clip fits between the side of the
glass and the frame. The two straight bits at the ends fit flush to the
frame.

Try fitting a clip into the frame without the glass and you may get a
better idea of how its meant to work.