Old 25-04-2020, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to treat tulips after flowering?

I understand that it is efficacious to remove the tilup seed pods afer
they flower to put more energy into the bulbs. How about the flowers
sralks, should they also be removed, left on or does it not matter?
Old 25-04-2020, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/04/20 13:35, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 13:29:01 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

I understand that it is efficacious to remove the tilup seed pods afer
they flower to put more energy into the bulbs. How about the flowers
sralks, should they also be removed, left on or does it not matter?

You're right about the seed pods - just snap them off the top of the
stalks. I leave the flower stems, like I do with my daffs, although I
don't know if it makes any difference if you do.

I also always leave the stems after removing the seed pods. I assume,
that, being green, they contain chlorophyll and that is serving a useful
purpose. There is no doubt that the stems still have active xylem; for
example, just cut through an amaryllis stem and see how much fluid is lost.

--

Jeff