GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What Shrub? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/21690-what-shrub.html)

Ted 10-05-2003 06:08 PM

What Shrub?

Hello ,
I'd like to plant a small flowering shrub at thr front of the house.
The soil is clay and is in the shade except for a few hours in the
A.M. Any suggestions?
TIA
Ted

hayley 10-05-2003 08:44 PM

What Shrub?

our soil is clay and hebes seem to do well (all the neighbours have them
anyway). Also roses do very well here.
Hayley
om...

Serena Blanchflower 10-05-2003 09:56 PM

What Shrub?

On 10 May 2003 10:06:26 -0700, (Ted) wrote:

Hello ,
I'd like to plant a small flowering shrub at thr front of the house.
The soil is clay and is in the shade except for a few hours in the
A.M. Any suggestions?

I've got a hardy fuschia and some hydrangeas thriving under similar
conditions.
--
Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)

hayley 10-05-2003 10:32 PM

What Shrub?

I've got a hardy fuschia and some hydrangeas thriving under similar
conditions.

I wouldn't put hydrangeas too near the house as they can get into drains.
Hayley

Ted 11-05-2003 06:45 PM

What Shrub?

"hayley" wrote in message ...
I wouldn't put hydrangeas too near the house as they can get into drains.

Hayley

Thanks Hayley and Serena for your suggestions . I had a look around
the garden centre to day and I couldn't make up my mind. Azaleas look
nice too . I'd best get on with the digging before I do the buying!
Ted

Serena Blanchflower 11-05-2003 09:22 PM

What Shrub?

On Sat, 10 May 2003 22:38:00 +0100, "hayley"
wrote:

I wouldn't put hydrangeas too near the house as they can get into drains.

Thanks for that, I hadn't heard that before. How far do their roots
spread?

Serena Blanchflower 11-05-2003 09:22 PM

What Shrub?

On 11 May 2003 10:50:58 -0700, (Ted) wrote:

Thanks Hayley and Serena for your suggestions . I had a look around
the garden centre to day and I couldn't make up my mind. Azaleas look
nice too . I'd best get on with the digging before I do the buying!

Azaleas sound like another good idea.

hayley 12-05-2003 12:09 AM

What Shrub?

Thanks for that, I hadn't heard that before. How far do their roots
spread?

don't know but my dad an daunt both had problems with them, planted a couple
of yards from the drains (but not sure how close to the pipes). Drain man
said it was a common problem.
Hayley