Old 10-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Ted

Default What Shrub?

Hello ,
I'd like to plant a small flowering shrub at thr front of the house.
The soil is clay and is in the shade except for a few hours in the
A.M. Any suggestions?
TIA
Ted
Old 10-05-2003, 08:44 PM
hayley

our soil is clay and hebes seem to do well (all the neighbours have them
anyway). Also roses do very well here.
Hayley
om...

Old 10-05-2003, 10:32 PM
hayley

I've got a hardy fuschia and some hydrangeas thriving under similar
conditions.

I wouldn't put hydrangeas too near the house as they can get into drains.
Hayley

Old 11-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Ted

"hayley" wrote in message ...
I wouldn't put hydrangeas too near the house as they can get into drains.

Hayley

Thanks Hayley and Serena for your suggestions . I had a look around
the garden centre to day and I couldn't make up my mind. Azaleas look
nice too . I'd best get on with the digging before I do the buying!
Ted

Old 11-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Serena Blanchflower

On Sat, 10 May 2003 22:38:00 +0100, "hayley"
wrote:

I wouldn't put hydrangeas too near the house as they can get into drains.

Thanks for that, I hadn't heard that before. How far do their roots
spread?

--
Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)
Old 12-05-2003, 12:09 AM
hayley

Thanks for that, I hadn't heard that before. How far do their roots
spread?

don't know but my dad an daunt both had problems with them, planted a couple
of yards from the drains (but not sure how close to the pipes). Drain man
said it was a common problem.
Hayley

Old 12-05-2003, 02:14 PM
hayley

Thanks for that, I hadn't heard that before. How far do their roots
spread?

don't know but my dad an daunt both had problems with them, planted a couple
of yards from the drains (but not sure how close to the pipes). Drain man
said it was a common problem.
Hayley

shrub Honeysuckle Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 27-10-2003 02:42 PM
What is this shrub? animaux Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
[IBC] unknown shrub, can it be used for bonsai? Sam Williams Bonsai 6 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM
evergreen shrub dying? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM