GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   storage lifetime of glyphosate (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/22028-storage-lifetime-glyphosate.html)

dave @ stejonda 12-05-2003 02:18 PM

storage lifetime of glyphosate

Does Glyphosate concentrate lose its efficacy over time?

I have a bottle of Tumbleweed which I applied (diluted as per) 10 days
ago to greenery and nothing has happened. Should I re-apply the same or
rush out to buy anew?

--
dave @ stejonda

?why do Americans chatter during live theatre?

Nick Maclaren 12-05-2003 02:18 PM

storage lifetime of glyphosate

In article ,
"dave @ stejonda" writes:
| Does Glyphosate concentrate lose its efficacy over time?
|
| I have a bottle of Tumbleweed which I applied (diluted as per) 10 days
| ago to greenery and nothing has happened. Should I re-apply the same or
| rush out to buy anew?

On what? Some things are very resistant, and 10 days is not a long
time in cold weather. Undiluted glyphosate keeps for a long time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Paul Kelly 12-05-2003 02:20 PM

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
Does Glyphosate concentrate lose its efficacy over time?

I have a bottle of Tumbleweed which I applied (diluted as per) 10 days
ago to greenery and nothing has happened. Should I re-apply the same or
rush out to buy anew?

Not unusual to take 10 days to respond. I've just bee through the same
process. 10 days of dry weather - no sign of any affect, a few days of mixed
sun and rain and lots of lovely dead foliage!
pk

dave @ stejonda 12-05-2003 02:20 PM

storage lifetime of glyphosate

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
"dave @ stejonda" writes:
| Does Glyphosate concentrate lose its efficacy over time?
|
| I have a bottle of Tumbleweed which I applied (diluted as per) 10 days
| ago to greenery and nothing has happened. Should I re-apply the same or
| rush out to buy anew?

On what? Some things are very resistant,

A variety, from rhus typhina regrowth to annual weeds (thought I'd just
treat them all the same).

and 10 days is not a long
time in cold weather.

Ok, though it's not been that cold here - I'm just impatient.

Undiluted glyphosate keeps for a long time.

ta both.

jane 12-05-2003 02:21 PM

storage lifetime of glyphosate

~
~I have a bottle of Tumbleweed which I applied (diluted as per) 10 days
~ago to greenery and nothing has happened. Should I re-apply the same or
~rush out to buy anew?
~

I applied paint-on gel tumbleweed to some white bindweed last year,
and it stayed there looking green for ages. I kept meaning to reapply
but kept forgetting to take up the stuff to the allotment, and one day
I realised they were gone.

This year the patch remains clear, so I have sprayed the rest of the
orchard bindweed with the dilutable form. I await the disappearing
act, but do know it was a long time last year. The destructions do say
not to dig over the patch for at least seven days, which is how long
it takes to get to the roots in ideal conditions.

I'll let you know if there's any change!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!

Anthony E Anson 12-05-2003 02:21 PM

storage lifetime of glyphosate

The message
In article ,
"dave @ stejonda" writes:

| Does Glyphosate concentrate lose its efficacy over time?
|
| I have a bottle of Tumbleweed which I applied (diluted as per) 10 days
| ago to greenery and nothing has happened. Should I re-apply the same or
| rush out to buy anew?

On what? Some things are very resistant, and 10 days is not a long
time in cold weather. Undiluted glyphosate keeps for a long time.

It takes a while for it to act, and some plants don't show any signs for
a couple of weeks. I've used Roundup which was ten years old and noticed
no diminution of effect.

If what you are spraying isslightly oily, a touch of washing-up liquid
is beneficial (but not to the greenery!) but don't tell the EC Police...

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi

Steve Harris 12-05-2003 07:56 PM

() wrote:

Does Glyphosate concentrate lose its efficacy over time?

I have recently been using a bottle of Murphy Tumbleweed Gel discovered
in a shed clear out. It must be at least 17 years old and might be as
much as 24.

Works fine.

The early effects of Glyphosate are subtle. Serious distress may
takeover 2 weeks to show. However, within a week, expect the weeds to
look *slightly* dull, off-colour and not growing as fast if at all.