Old 26-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Malcolm

Default nasty magpie?

In article , BAC
writes

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , hugo agogo
writes
"Pickle" wrote in message
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Isn't it called a parliament of magpies? :-)

Janet

According to a book of mine (AA Book of the British Countryside) it's a
parliament of owls or rooks, and a "tiding" of magpies (bad tiding?)

Where did all these collective nouns come from? They don't appear in
any dictionary of mine, and seem rather contrived to me!

Mostly Victorian inventions, I believe. Contrived is a very good word
for them.

That'd be 'a contrivance of collective nouns', then, eh?

LOL.

I'd imagine people coin new collective nouns all the time, but most of them
don't make it into general usage or convince lexicographers to adopt them.

There are some of much greater lineage - Middle Ages, even - but there
did seem to be an outbreak in the Victorian era of coining a collective
noun for many birds that hadn't had them before. I, for one, am very
happy that lots of them have faded from use and memory. The word
"contrived" can also be used when someone tries to re-introduce them
into their writing or speech :-)

--
Malcolm
Old 27-05-2003, 12:21 AM
hugo agogo

"BAC" wrote in message ...

That'd be 'a contrivance of collective nouns', then, eh?

Yes, I like that... very appropriate.

I'd imagine people coin new collective nouns all the time,

I wonder why - where's the need?