GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   "First Frosts" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/22587-first-frosts.html)

shazzbat 15-05-2003 11:20 PM

"First Frosts"

"Jayne" wrote in message
I often see it recommended that plants are brought indoors before the

first
frosts - could somebody tell me approx. when that would be?

Jayne (who hasn't been a UK gardener for long!)

When Michael fish says "it might be a bit chilly tonight, but no danger of a
frost"

Kay Easton 15-05-2003 11:20 PM

"First Frosts"

In article , The Devil's Advocate
writes
Where are you to get such a late frost?

Outside Leeds.

Kay Easton wrote:
: In article , The Devil's
: Advocate writes
:: This site allows you to select your frost date depending on where
:: you live. November or December down here
:: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather.asp
::
: Treat it with a very large pinch of salt!
:
: If I were to believe its idea that my last frost is in early May, I'd
: lose an awful lot of plants.

Robert

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sacha 15-05-2003 11:32 PM

"First Frosts"

in article , shazzbat at
wrote on 15/5/03 11:27 pm:

"Jayne" wrote in message
I often see it recommended that plants are brought indoors before the

first
frosts - could somebody tell me approx. when that would be?

Jayne (who hasn't been a UK gardener for long!)

When Michael fish says "it might be a bit chilly tonight, but no danger of a
frost"

Shame on you! When any of them say (including Michael Fish) "there is
absolutely no danger of a hurricane......"
To be fair, this is an art as well as a science. When someone pins Nature
down to being utterly predictable, we *will* have cause to moan - until
then...c'est la vie!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Hussein M. 16-05-2003 05:20 AM

"First Frosts"

On Thu, 15 May 2003 19:47:16 +0100, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , The Devil's Advocate
writes
This site allows you to select your frost date depending on where you live.
November or December down here
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather.asp

Treat it with a very large pinch of salt!

If I were to believe its idea that my last frost is in early May, I'd
lose an awful lot of plants.

I reckon aspect and surrounding topography have a lot to do with whether those last
remaining dips to the zero mark affect you in your particular locality. You only have to
be _near_ the warmth of a big city/urban development (for example).

Respect

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

Charlie Pridham 16-05-2003 08:44 AM

"First Frosts"

"Jayne" wrote in message
I often see it recommended that plants are brought indoors before the

first
frosts - could somebody tell me approx. when that would be?

Jayne (who hasn't been a UK gardener for long!)

Fraid it isn't as easy as all that to predict! and of course it can depend a
lot on where your garden is, Keep your eye on the forecasts from August, but
you may not get one till November :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk