Old 15-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Jayne

Default "First Frosts"

I often see it recommended that plants are brought indoors before the first
frosts - could somebody tell me approx. when that would be?

Jayne (who hasn't been a UK gardener for long!)

Old 15-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Lawrence Tierney

"Jayne" wrote in message
I often see it recommended that plants are brought indoors before the

first
frosts - could somebody tell me approx. when that would be?

Jayne (who hasn't been a UK gardener for long!)

We would need to know what region you stay in to give you an anyway useful
answer but the location and aspect of your property will also affect this.

Old 15-05-2003, 05:44 PM
JennyC

"Jayne" wrote in message
I often see it recommended that plants are brought indoors before

the first
frosts - could somebody tell me approx. when that would be?

Jayne (who hasn't been a UK gardener for long!)

Well when you need to wear a vest, the central heating turned up and
scraping ice of the car in the morning :~))))
Jenny

Old 15-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , JennyC
writes

"Jayne" wrote in message
I often see it recommended that plants are brought indoors before

the first
frosts - could somebody tell me approx. when that would be?

Jayne (who hasn't been a UK gardener for long!)

Well when you need to wear a vest, the central heating turned up and
scraping ice of the car in the morning :~))))

Depends where you are. Beginning of October in Leeds.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 15-05-2003, 06:20 PM
The Devil's Advocate

This site allows you to select your frost date depending on where you live.
November or December down here
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather.asp

Robert
South West England

:

Old 15-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Sacha

in article , The Devil's Advocate at
wrote on 15/5/03 6:16 pm:

Jayne wrote:
: I often see it recommended that plants are brought indoors before the
: first frosts - could somebody tell me approx. when that would be?
:
: Jayne (who hasn't been a UK gardener for long!)

Robert

(top posting corrected for clarity)

This site allows you to select your frost date depending on where you live.
November or December down here
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather.asp

Interesting site but not accurate. I typed in Plymouth as our nearest town
and it gave mid-March as our latest frost. Then I typed in Exeter because
we're equidistant between the two. That gave me late April.
We had one this morning, 15th May. We are about 3 miles from the edge of
Dartmoor, in the South Hams. And we *never* encourage our customers to put
out bedding or hanging baskets before mid-May at the very least - this year
has more than borne that out!
I really don't think a web site can predict the many nuances of English
weather and IMO, the best tool is the experience of your neighbours, if
you're new to an area. Ask *them* what they have experienced themselves.
On the Mypex and field this morning it was so white, it looked as if it had
snowed, on the big lawn in front of the house, there was just a hint of
white and that's just within 6 acres.
In the village where I used to live I would get frost in my garden that
would clear by 11am but further down the village there would be ice and that
would linger all day.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Jim W

Jayne wrote:

I often see it recommended that plants are brought indoors before the first
frosts - could somebody tell me approx. when that would be?

Jayne (who hasn't been a UK gardener for long!)

Technically anytime in the UK;-)

But generally, Oct - Dec..

Best suggestion is to ask other gardeners local to your
area/microclimate. Where abouts are you?
//
Old 15-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , The Devil's Advocate
writes
This site allows you to select your frost date depending on where you live.
November or December down here
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather.asp

Treat it with a very large pinch of salt!

If I were to believe its idea that my last frost is in early May, I'd
lose an awful lot of plants.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 15-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , The Devil's Advocate
writes
This site allows you to select your frost date depending on where you live.
November or December down here
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather.asp

Treat it with a very large pinch of salt!

If I were to believe its idea that my last frost is in early May, I'd
lose an awful lot of plants.

Yes, indeed. And, since nobody has mentioned it, the date is likely
to vary by plus or minus a month, occasionally more. In 25 years
in Cambridge, the first I have seen was September 6th and the last
was late December.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 15-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Jayne

Sorry - I didn't say. I'm in South Gloucestershire.
Last year's summer hanging baskets lasted until the first week in December.
We are in an open area rather than a built up one - just open farmland
behind the house, but fairly high up.

Jayne

news:1fv0n0d.151rfyv13p1i2oN% Technically anytime in the UK;-)

Old 15-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Jim W

Jayne wrote:

Sorry - I didn't say. I'm in South Gloucestershire.
Last year's summer hanging baskets lasted until the first week in December.
We are in an open area rather than a built up one - just open farmland
behind the house, but fairly high up.

Jayne

Looking at past records may give you *some* idea.. of what to expect.

As you say your high up you may be a little more exposed that in a
sheltered lower site, but at least you aren't in a frost pocket at the
base of a hill;-)

sites like Wunderground.com and the Met Office
http://www.met-office.gov.uk/
allow you to view the weather records for your area.
//
Jim
Old 15-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Kase

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Jayne" wrote in message
I often see it recommended that plants are brought indoors before

the first
frosts - could somebody tell me approx. when that would be?

Jayne (who hasn't been a UK gardener for long!)

Well when you need to wear a vest, the central heating turned up and
scraping ice of the car in the morning :~))))
Jenny

If you're scraping ice off the car in the morning then you're way too late
for the first frosts, you've probably had snow by that point!! Eeek!

Here near Manchester, and my home town of Barnsley, start watching the
weather forecasts after the start of September. Even if the days are still
warm, the first night of temperatures below 4C and you will probably see a
frost. Too late and your dahlias will turn black so you'll know to lift
them.

Old 15-05-2003, 10:44 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Where are you to get such a late frost?

Kay Easton wrote:
: In article , The Devil's
: Advocate writes
:: This site allows you to select your frost date depending on where
:: you live. November or December down here
:: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather.asp
::

Old 15-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
The Devil's Advocate no spam no rudeness wrote:
Where are you to get such a late frost?

Perhaps eastern Scotland? Yes, it really is that bad.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.