Old 15-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Sally Thompson

Default Bentomat

We are waiting for our pond to be excavated (two months later than we
hoped), and have been looking at various types of liner. In our water
gardens book it mentions using a material called Bentomat, which
sounds much nicer than butyl. Has anyone any experience of this? Is
it easy to use? And is it wildly more expensive than butyl?

Although I've Googled, Asked Jeeves, and Alta Vistad g I cannot find
a supplier or a price. Can anyone recommend a supplier?

Thanks all for any pointers.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply
Old 16-05-2003, 10:08 AM
bigboard

Sally Thompson wrote:
We are waiting for our pond to be excavated (two months later than we
hoped), and have been looking at various types of liner. In our water
gardens book it mentions using a material called Bentomat, which
sounds much nicer than butyl. Has anyone any experience of this? Is
it easy to use? And is it wildly more expensive than butyl?

Although I've Googled, Asked Jeeves, and Alta Vistad g I cannot find
a supplier or a price. Can anyone recommend a supplier?

Thanks all for any pointers.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply

It seems to be used mainly in large scale projects by civil engineering
firms. This lot make it, and may be able to help you:

http://www.maccaferri.co.uk/products...ProofClay.html

Old 16-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Mark

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message

We are waiting for our pond to be excavated (two months later than we
hoped), and have been looking at various types of liner. In our water
gardens book it mentions using a material called Bentomat, which
sounds much nicer than butyl. Has anyone any experience of this? Is
it easy to use? And is it wildly more expensive than butyl?

Looking at the project it's used on, I would say you'd have to be building a
major size pond with shallow sloping sides, and edges. The great advantage
of butyl is it's easy to form into odd sized ponds and the 1mm is extremely
tough.

http://muddynsparky.co.uk/gallery/vi...umName=album01

Mark in Shropshire

Old 16-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Sally wrote in message ...

We are waiting for our pond to be excavated (two months later than we
hoped), and have been looking at various types of liner. In our water
gardens book it mentions using a material called Bentomat, which
sounds much nicer than butyl. Has anyone any experience of this? Is
it easy to use? And is it wildly more expensive than butyl?

Although I've Googled, Asked Jeeves, and Alta Vistad g I cannot find
a supplier or a price. Can anyone recommend a supplier?

Thanks all for any pointers.

It's a clay sandwich.
Whilst you don't mention the type of pond you want I would say stick to
Butyl, it's easy to deal with, lasts 50 years + (used for canals!), and is
not easy to puncture and if you do it can be mended just like an inner tube
on a bike. It's also black which is an ideal colour for a liner in a pond.

www.midlandbutyl.com/

and they can even weld it to shape so no creases. (If it's a squareish pond)
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.