Old 17-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default Sollya heterophylla

Watching the RHS Hyde Hall programme last night, I was a bit surprised
to see them re-planting their blue and white section, which was to
last several years, and using Sollya heterophylla. This is a
beautiful shrub but is not hardy and only survives down to zero.
I had a beautiful specimen, which I had in a very large pot, and was
always taken inside for the winter. This winter it was inside as
usual and protected with horticural fleece, but because we had two
particularly cold snaps, I lost it. Having lived in Essex for a long
time I cannot imagine it surviving a winter outside there.

No mention was made of its hardiness or lack of it and I can imagine
people rushing out to buy it, planting it out and then losing it. A
pity RdeT or the RHS didn't say, particularly after making so much of
it.

Iris McCanna

--
(All outgoing messages certified virus free)

Old 17-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Barry & Iris McCanna
writes
Watching the RHS Hyde Hall programme last night, I was a bit surprised
to see them re-planting their blue and white section, which was to
last several years, and using Sollya heterophylla. This is a
beautiful shrub but is not hardy and only survives down to zero.
I had a beautiful specimen, which I had in a very large pot, and was
always taken inside for the winter. This winter it was inside as
usual and protected with horticural fleece, but because we had two
particularly cold snaps, I lost it. Having lived in Essex for a long
time I cannot imagine it surviving a winter outside there.

No mention was made of its hardiness or lack of it and I can imagine
people rushing out to buy it, planting it out and then losing it. A
pity RdeT or the RHS didn't say, particularly after making so much of
it.

Especially as it's coming into fashion and is appearing in the garden
junk mail - you know, the magazines that have lots of candles, solar
lights, patio heaters, and just half a dozen plants tucked in her and
there.

... I'm not usually cynical, but could there be any connection between
the two? After all, we've had years of never hearing of Sollya, and now
suddenly it's in the catalogues and on TV as well.

btw Iris - would you like some seedpods?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 17-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Mike Gilmore

I had much the same experience as the McCannas with Sollya heterophylla and
agree with Kay so be warned people.--
Regards,
Mike Gilmore
www.winsfordwalledgarden.freeserve.co.uk