Old 19-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Mike

Default Flanders Poppys

In article , M C C
writes
On Sun, 18 May 2003 22:36:33 +0100, Mike
wrote:

In article , M C C
writes

But the seeds must have already been lying there, just waiting
for the right conditions in which to germinate.

but how long could they have been waiting?

Years sometimes, Mike!

And the seeds must have
come from parent plants so I think you'd be pretty safe in assuming that
poppies were fairly common in the corn and wheat fields.

but how long before?

For as long as those fields had been farmed, I would say.

This is beginning to bear out one of the stories :-))

Can you elaborate on the story? Somebody may have heard it, or of it,
before.

For as long as I can remember, certainly back to when I was a youngster,
I thought that the connection with the Poppy and Remembrance Sunday, was
because there was so much carnage during the First World War and so many
deaths and the blood flowed so much, that it 'Made the Battle Field look
like a field of Poppies'.

It was very recent, like a few days ago, that I heard that as the ground
had been disturbed so much, it was the right conditions for the
'dormant' Poppy seeds to germinate and thus the poppy petals blew about
the crosses.

That is why I asked the question, 'did poppies grow there in 1912 and
1913', possibly not.

I wonder how many other tales, given to me in what I thought was a true
version and in good faith, I have believed:-{

Now about this Tooth Fairy . . . . . . . . . . . ;-)

Mike
Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 19-05-2003, 10:08 AM

:
: --------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
: Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th -
June 2nd
: British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
: Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
: R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more
:
You'll be telling us there's no such person as Father Christmas next :O))

Old 19-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Rick McGreal

"K" wrote in
:

You'll be telling us there's no such person as Father Christmas next
:O))

Of course there is a Father Christmas...
How else do you think my daughter got her presents on Christmas morning?!

Old 19-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Mike

In article , K
writes

:
You'll be telling us there's no such person as Father Christmas next :O))

THE FOUR STAGES OF LIFE:
1) You believe in Santa Claus.
2) You don't believe in Santa Claus.
3) You are Santa Claus.
4) You look like Santa Claus.

Old 19-05-2003, 12:00 PM
@ttilla the pun

wrote:

In article , M C C
writes

But the seeds must have already been lying there, just waiting
for the right conditions in which to germinate.

but how long could they have been waiting?

Years sometimes, Mike!

And the seeds must have
come from parent plants so I think you'd be pretty safe in assuming

that
poppies were fairly common in the corn and wheat fields.

but how long before?

For as long as those fields had been farmed, I would say.

Papaver Rhoeas,Corn Poppy/Field Poppy/Flanders Poppy,grows in fields

arable land on roadsides especially after soil disturbance,likes chalky
soils or loam,in warm position,
IN FLANDERS FIELDS THE POPPY'S GROW
BETWEEN THE CROSSES ROW ON ROW
THAT MARK OUR PLACE & IN THE SKY