Old 24-05-2003, 07:57 PM

Default Are beetles friend or foe?

Hi,
now the rain has stopped I thought i would tidy out the greenhouse. i
noticed a few large beetles scurrying across the floor as i was
sweeping up. I later noticed a few on the flower bed outside.

Are they friend or foe?

My other headach is slugs and snails, they seem to eat everything I
put out.

Thanks for your help.
Old 24-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
wrote:
Hi,
now the rain has stopped I thought i would tidy out the greenhouse. i
noticed a few large beetles scurrying across the floor as i was
sweeping up. I later noticed a few on the flower bed outside.

Are they friend or foe?

Both, neither and either, depending. In general, ignore them. Most
of the common large beetles are harmless scavengers and similar.

My other headach is slugs and snails, they seem to eat everything I
put out.

In wet weather, they do :-( There are many ineffective solutions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Drakanthus

Hi,
now the rain has stopped I thought i would tidy out the greenhouse. i
noticed a few large beetles scurrying across the floor as i was
sweeping up. I later noticed a few on the flower bed outside.

Are they friend or foe?

Ground beetles (shiny black about 1cm long) are friends, they eat various
foe insects.

Vine weevil beetles are deadly foes - terminate them with extreme prejudice
upon sight!

I suggest you look on the web for a few pictures, very difficult to describe
some insects. Worth knowing which ones to scoop out of the bath with care or
gently usher outside from near an open door or those to flatten at any and
every opportunity!

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 26-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Tim

On Sat, 24 May 2003 21:12:50 +0100, Drakanthus
wrote:

[...]

As a very general rule of thumb, the ones which run fast, often slightly
flattened, tend to be carnivorous - more-or-less good.
the ones that are slow, more often than not rounded, tend to be
vegetarians. Whether they are eating your plants or just rotting matter is
difficult to tell.
Compare a (vegetarian) millipede with (carnivorous) centipede. Tim.