GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strange garden inhabitant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/28820-strange-garden-inhabitant.html)

Mike 25-05-2003 08:44 PM

Strange garden inhabitant

I was removing slugs and snails off a leafy plant ( the name fails me)
which is getting eaten alive by these pesky things.
To my amazement there was another strange inhabitant that I had never
seen the likes of before.
It was about 2" long and the diameter of a human hair. It was "waving"
at me from the tip of a leaf.
I am sure there are a few people here who could enlighten me as to
what it is.

- - - -
Mike Peters

Drop the DROPME to reply by Email

Zizz 26-05-2003 07:20 AM

Strange garden inhabitant

"Mike" wrote in message
I was removing slugs and snails off a leafy plant ( the name fails me)
which is getting eaten alive by these pesky things.
To my amazement there was another strange inhabitant that I had never
seen the likes of before.
It was about 2" long and the diameter of a human hair. It was "waving"
at me from the tip of a leaf.
I am sure there are a few people here who could enlighten me as to
what it is.

- - - -
Mike Peters

Drop the DROPME to reply by Email

Baby millipede ???
Failing that a garden fairy!

Tom Warner 26-05-2003 08:56 AM

Strange garden inhabitant

"Mike" wrote in message
I was removing slugs and snails off a leafy plant ( the name fails me)
which is getting eaten alive by these pesky things.
To my amazement there was another strange inhabitant that I had never
seen the likes of before.
It was about 2" long and the diameter of a human hair. It was "waving"
at me from the tip of a leaf.
I am sure there are a few people here who could enlighten me as to
what it is.

Mike Peters

Drop the DROPME to reply by Email

A bit more information would be helpful, like colour, how many legs,
markings etc.
Otherwise what you have described *is* a hair.
Cheers
Tom

David Hill 26-05-2003 12:20 PM

Strange garden inhabitant

sounds to me like "The hair of the dog"....

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Mike 26-05-2003 12:32 PM

Strange garden inhabitant

OnMon, 26 May 2003 12:08:31 +0100, "David Hill"
perspired gently and wrote:

sounds to me like "The hair of the dog"....

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

LOL .. I wish I had not disposed of it now!
My partner insists it was a bit thicker than a hair. With the naked
eye, we could not see head or legs only that one end was more active
than the other. It was coiled rather than straight and pale
green/yellow in colour.
We had only drunk a bottle of Stella between us!
I will investigate this evening and see if I can spot another....
minus the Stella ;-).
- - - -

Pamcel 26-05-2003 11:08 PM

Strange garden inhabitant

I saw one of these on a washing line a couple of years back, and it was also
"waving". Pale green and very thin. I've never seen one since. It was in a
wooded area, and I presumed it usually lived high up and had fallen to the
line. Gave me a bit of a turn!!
pamcel

A.Malhotra 28-05-2003 11:20 AM

Strange garden inhabitant

perspired gently and wrote:

sounds to me like "The hair of the dog"....

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

LOL .. I wish I had not disposed of it now!
My partner insists it was a bit thicker than a hair. With the naked
eye, we could not see head or legs only that one end was more active
than the other. It was coiled rather than straight and pale
green/yellow in colour.
We had only drunk a bottle of Stella between us!
I will investigate this evening and see if I can spot another....
minus the Stella ;-).
- - - -
Mike Peters

A just hatched caterpillar of some sort?
Anita

Annabel 28-05-2003 03:21 PM

Strange garden inhabitant

"Tom Warner" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
I was removing slugs and snails off a leafy plant ( the name fails

me)
which is getting eaten alive by these pesky things.
To my amazement there was another strange inhabitant that I had

never
seen the likes of before.
It was about 2" long and the diameter of a human hair. It was

"waving"
at me from the tip of a leaf.
I am sure there are a few people here who could enlighten me as to
what it is.

Mike Peters

Drop the DROPME to reply by Email

A bit more information would be helpful, like colour, how many legs,
markings etc.
Otherwise what you have described *is* a hair.
Cheers
Tom

Or something very similar, like a rabbit

bel

Mike 29-05-2003 05:24 AM

Strange garden inhabitant

On26 May 2003 22:03:36 GMT, (Pamcel) perspired gently
and wrote:

I saw one of these on a washing line a couple of years back, and it was also
"waving". Pale green and very thin. I've never seen one since. It was in a
wooded area, and I presumed it usually lived high up and had fallen to the
line. Gave me a bit of a turn!!
pamcel

Thank heavens for that .. I was begining to think it was an alien.. or
maybe it is.... it sure was creepy!

Still hunting for another one .. then I will scan it ..lol .. and post
it on a web site.

- - - -