GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lavender (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/30176-lavender.html)

paul 02-06-2003 10:00 AM

Lavender

when and how hard should a lavender be trimmed back

Sid 02-06-2003 10:00 AM

Lavender

Franz Heymann wrote in message

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
when and how hard should a lavender be trimmed back

I cut mine very hard back to the lowest sign of new growth in the autumn.

Franz Heymann

yeah, don't cut any old wood. I cut mine pretty soon after the flowers
finish.

Franz Heymann 02-06-2003 10:00 AM

Lavender

. ..

Jeffery 02-06-2003 10:44 AM

Lavender

I think it is recommended that you trim off the dead flowers shortly after
flowering, and then cut back to the last sign of new growth in the autumn.

--
Best wishes,
Jeffery.
"Sid" wrote in message

Franz Heymann wrote in message

. ..

Kay Easton 03-06-2003 10:20 AM

Lavender

In article , Sid
writes

Franz Heymann wrote in message

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
when and how hard should a lavender be trimmed back

I cut mine very hard back to the lowest sign of new growth in the autumn.

Franz Heymann

yeah, don't cut any old wood. I cut mine pretty soon after the flowers
finish.

Otoh, leaving the seedheads on till spring attracts flocks of
goldfinches and gives them valuable food over the winter.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Ophelia 03-06-2003 12:56 PM

Lavender

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Otoh, leaving the seedheads on till spring attracts flocks of
goldfinches and gives them valuable food over the winter.

Oh yes.. I like that much better:)) I just bought a lavender and so was
reading this thread with interest:)

Kay Easton 03-06-2003 01:56 PM

Lavender

In article , Ophelia
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Otoh, leaving the seedheads on till spring attracts flocks of
goldfinches and gives them valuable food over the winter.

Oh yes.. I like that much better:)) I just bought a lavender and so was
reading this thread with interest:)

I prune mine in spring, and make sure I always have at least one tiny
green bud sprouting form the stem below where I cut.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Ophelia 03-06-2003 04:08 PM

Lavender

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Ophelia
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Otoh, leaving the seedheads on till spring attracts flocks of
goldfinches and gives them valuable food over the winter.

Oh yes.. I like that much better:)) I just bought a lavender and so was
reading this thread with interest:)

I prune mine in spring, and make sure I always have at least one tiny
green bud sprouting form the stem below where I cut.

Sounds good to me;)) Thanks Kay

Ophelia 05-06-2003 09:18 AM

Lavender

"Kay Easton" wrote in message