Old 03-06-2003, 06:44 AM
welshuser

Default Why have my carrots not come up?

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 16:38:59 +0100, "welshuser"
wrote:

Second year running my carrots have not come up...the year before that

they
were brilliant. I have rich dark soil and have been keeping the patch

damp,
what could be the problem.

Same here. I never have much success with carrots.
Is it possible that they germinate and something eats the tops?
Having an allotment I cannot easily check them daily, so not sure what
comes through. About 5 last time I looked! That won't see me through
the winter!!

Pam in Bristol

thanks everybody, interesting responses. Yeah I sowed them about 4 weeks ago
and I thought they would have come up by now. Might wait another 2 weeks
before putting in a second sowing and writing off the first. Also, I have
watered them a few times with the hosepipe so the 'capping' theory sounds
very plausable. Will try again in a few weeks if none of them come up...lol,
and keep everybody informed of course

thanks a lot peepz.