GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Skin burn like Euphorbia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/30232-skin-burn-like-euphorbia.html)

02-06-2003 07:20 PM

Skin burn like Euphorbia

I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could be?

Rod 02-06-2003 07:56 PM

Skin burn like Euphorbia

wrote in message ...
I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could be?

Stag's Horn Sumach or most other members of the Rhus family - these are relatives of poison ivy.
Petty Spurge? A little euphorbia weed - don't put this in your salad.
Giant Hogweed (or the ordinary one sometimes)?
Some other things with milky sap.

Rod

Janet Baraclough 03-06-2003 12:32 AM

Skin burn like Euphorbia

The message
from contains these words:

I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could be?

Ruta graveolens, the blue rue?

You may find that when the area heals, it's become sensitive to
sunlight and the itching/ blistering/weeping returns after sun exposure.
If so, keep it covered/use a total sunblock cream.

Janet.

Nick Maclaren 03-06-2003 12:32 AM

Skin burn like Euphorbia

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could be?

Ruta graveolens, the blue rue?

Or rather a lot of other things, unfortunately. Someone mentioned
the sumachs (including Rhus and Cotinus), but there is also Vinca,
and at the right time of year Humulus (hop). Plus grasses, for
those that have hay fever! And so on.

You may find that when the area heals, it's become sensitive to
sunlight and the itching/ blistering/weeping returns after sun exposure.
If so, keep it covered/use a total sunblock cream.

Even better, wear a loose long-sleeved shirt of the thoroughly opaque
variety! Djellabas are in :-)

I have found that such things heal faster if left open to the air,
and not anointed, but I can't guarantee that the same is true for
anyone else.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Alan 03-06-2003 09:32 AM

Skin burn like Euphorbia

The trouble with wearing a long-sleeved shirt is that the sap can soak into
the fabric, remain wet and irritate the skin even more. Waterproof clothing
of some kind would probably be best.

Nick Maclaren 03-06-2003 09:56 AM

Skin burn like Euphorbia

In article ,
"Alan" writes:
| The trouble with wearing a long-sleeved shirt is that the sap can soak into
| the fabric, remain wet and irritate the skin even more. Waterproof clothing
| of some kind would probably be best.

As a preventative, yes. I am talking about after the event. Both
creams and waterproof clothing encourage sweating, which is likely
to irritate the burn even more.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Barry & Iris McCanna 03-06-2003 10:08 AM

Skin burn like Euphorbia

"Rod" wrote in message

wrote in message

I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could

be?

Stag's Horn Sumach or most other members of the Rhus family - these

are relatives of poison ivy.
Petty Spurge? A little euphorbia weed - don't put this in your

salad.
Giant Hogweed (or the ordinary one sometimes)?
Some other things with milky sap.

Rod

This happened to me a few years ago and the only thing I had been
working on was a Tree Lupin.

Iris McCanna

Janet Baraclough 03-06-2003 07:56 PM

Skin burn like Euphorbia

The message

In article ,
"Alan" writes:
| The trouble with wearing a long-sleeved shirt is that the sap can
soak into
| the fabric, remain wet and irritate the skin even more. Waterproof
clothing
| of some kind would probably be best.

As a preventative, yes. I am talking about after the event. Both
creams and waterproof clothing encourage sweating, which is likely
to irritate the burn even more.

I was also talking about protecting healed skin from photosensitivity.
It's a condition which develops *after* the original skin reaction
appears to have healed over and gone away.

Janet.

Charlie Pridham 04-06-2003 06:08 AM

Skin burn like Euphorbia

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could be?

Ruta graveolens, the blue rue?

Or rather a lot of other things, unfortunately. Someone mentioned
the sumachs (including Rhus and Cotinus), but there is also Vinca,
and at the right time of year Humulus (hop). Plus grasses, for
those that have hay fever! And so on.

I have found that such things heal faster if left open to the air,
and not anointed, but I can't guarantee that the same is true for
anyone else.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

One of my hands is presently got a large "burn" from the Hogweed (which I
was clearing so my wifes Guide unit would come to no harm while in the
orchard!) I too am "a leave it open" sort of person, usually heals over
leaving a pink scar in about 8 days.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk