Old 02-06-2003, 07:20 PM

Default Skin burn like Euphorbia

I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could be?
Old 02-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Rod

wrote in message ...
I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could be?

Stag's Horn Sumach or most other members of the Rhus family - these are relatives of poison ivy.
Petty Spurge? A little euphorbia weed - don't put this in your salad.
Giant Hogweed (or the ordinary one sometimes)?
Some other things with milky sap.

Rod

Old 03-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from contains these words:

I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could be?

Ruta graveolens, the blue rue?

You may find that when the area heals, it's become sensitive to
sunlight and the itching/ blistering/weeping returns after sun exposure.
If so, keep it covered/use a total sunblock cream.

Janet.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could be?

Ruta graveolens, the blue rue?

Or rather a lot of other things, unfortunately. Someone mentioned
the sumachs (including Rhus and Cotinus), but there is also Vinca,
and at the right time of year Humulus (hop). Plus grasses, for
those that have hay fever! And so on.

You may find that when the area heals, it's become sensitive to
sunlight and the itching/ blistering/weeping returns after sun exposure.
If so, keep it covered/use a total sunblock cream.

Even better, wear a loose long-sleeved shirt of the thoroughly opaque
variety! Djellabas are in :-)

I have found that such things heal faster if left open to the air,
and not anointed, but I can't guarantee that the same is true for
anyone else.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Alan

The trouble with wearing a long-sleeved shirt is that the sap can soak into
the fabric, remain wet and irritate the skin even more. Waterproof clothing
of some kind would probably be best.

Old 03-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Alan" writes:
| The trouble with wearing a long-sleeved shirt is that the sap can soak into
| the fabric, remain wet and irritate the skin even more. Waterproof clothing
| of some kind would probably be best.

As a preventative, yes. I am talking about after the event. Both
creams and waterproof clothing encourage sweating, which is likely
to irritate the burn even more.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Rod" wrote in message

wrote in message

I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could

be?

Stag's Horn Sumach or most other members of the Rhus family - these

are relatives of poison ivy.
Petty Spurge? A little euphorbia weed - don't put this in your

salad.
Giant Hogweed (or the ordinary one sometimes)?
Some other things with milky sap.

Rod

This happened to me a few years ago and the only thing I had been
working on was a Tree Lupin.

Iris McCanna

Old 04-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

I have burnt myself on something in the garden. It is very like a
Euphorbia burn but I havnt any Euphorbia. Any ideas what it could be?

Ruta graveolens, the blue rue?

Or rather a lot of other things, unfortunately. Someone mentioned
the sumachs (including Rhus and Cotinus), but there is also Vinca,
and at the right time of year Humulus (hop). Plus grasses, for
those that have hay fever! And so on.

I have found that such things heal faster if left open to the air,
and not anointed, but I can't guarantee that the same is true for
anyone else.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

One of my hands is presently got a large "burn" from the Hogweed (which I
was clearing so my wifes Guide unit would come to no harm while in the
orchard!) I too am "a leave it open" sort of person, usually heals over
leaving a pink scar in about 8 days.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk