GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Drying rose petals (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/30350-drying-rose-petals.html)

Pickle 03-06-2003 05:20 PM

Drying rose petals

Has anyone tried drying rose petals for pot-pourri, if so, what method
worked for you?
I've got some lovely scented roses and don't want the petals to go to waste.
I tried putting some in the oven on a low heat but they went a bit brown and
the smell seems less strong.

Ophelia 03-06-2003 06:08 PM

Drying rose petals

"Pickle" wrote in message
Has anyone tried drying rose petals for pot-pourri, if so, what method
worked for you?
I've got some lovely scented roses and don't want the petals to go to

waste.
I tried putting some in the oven on a low heat but they went a bit brown

and
the smell seems less strong.

I have a dehydrator and it works fine. Perhaps you had your oven too high.
For dehydrating try the oven but on the lowest heat with the door slightly
propped open. I suspect you are drying them too quickly

Ophelia

Derek Carver 03-06-2003 10:56 PM

Drying rose petals

Has anyone tried drying rose petals for pot-pourri, if so, what method
worked for you?

I know nothing about drying rose petals but we dry mushrooms. Here the
technique is to put them in the oven on a low heat with the oven door held open
just a bit.

Derek Carver
Oxshott, Surrey

Jayne 04-06-2003 06:56 PM

Drying rose petals

Get a couple of those cardboard "trays" that you can pick up at the
supermarket (the ones that vegetables come in) - spead the petals in them,
stack one above the other & turn the petals occassionally & they should be
dried in no time. I don't recommend drying them in the oven. I have been
making pot pourri for years & this method works well. You could also spread
them on newspaper but the boxes take up less room.

Jayne

Pickle 04-06-2003 09:44 PM

Drying rose petals

PAMBLOC (Derek Carver) wrote in message ...
Has anyone tried drying rose petals for pot-pourri, if so, what method
worked for you?

I know nothing about drying rose petals but we dry mushrooms. Here the
technique is to put them in the oven on a low heat with the oven door held open
just a bit.

Derek Carver
Oxshott, Surrey

Thanks Ophelia and Derek, I tried lowering the heat and leaving the
door open and that works fine.